New mbp owner

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by highr0lla, Oct 5, 2010.

1. highr0lla macrumors newbie

Hey guys, just got back from the apple store with my new 13" mbp. I was wondering if you guys could answer a few Qs for me.

First I was wondering what you guys use to protect your mbp. I'm split between getting a sleeve or a hard shell.

Secondly, can you guys recommend some programs/apps for me? Since I'm new to macs I'm really not sure what and where to download stuff.

Thanks!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

4. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

sleeve!...
    the apps that i use the most are already on there. the only one that isn't is adium, only reason i use it is because my friends for some reason decided to use msn?...

5. highr0lla thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!
    And ya I was leaning towards the sleeve since I like the look of the mbp. But then again i think the hard shell is more practical in protecting it. Thanks for the quick responses!

6. No1nfoProvided macrumors 6502

7. highr0lla thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh and one more thing. I used Google Chrome on windows so I downloaded it here too but what browser do you guys use? Is safari better in any ways?

8. wilflare macrumors member

Accessories:
    Wrapsol - to cover your macbook with a skin (the matte looks sweet!)
    Radtech Screensavrz - to cover your keyboard and prevent oil marks on your screen. (if you use a mouse, consider a moshi shieldpad)
    Moshi Clearguard - protect your keyboard from the grime on your fingers
    Moshi Palmguard - protect the beautiful exterior of your palmrest area.

Sleeve or Hardshell - I use a beautiful handwoven Fabrix Case from fabrixcases.com (you can consider Waterfields from sfbags.com)

If you want a hardshell, i highly recommend you wrapsol/phantomskinz your macbook first to prevent trapped dirt from scratching your mac.

Magic Mouse or Magic Trackpad - a great addition to your MBP, it'll be happy to have a partner!

Software:
    coconut battery - to check the status of your battery
    gfxcardstatus - to select which graphics card your system will operate on
    movit - a great alternative to VLC
    Adium - an excellent messenger
    bettertouchtools - for adding more gestures to your trackpad/mouse
    Dropbox - cloud storage goodness
    Growl - fancy notifications for a number of supported programs
    Smartsleep - should you want to remove the 4GB sleep file
    Handbrake - for transcoding etc into formats for portable use etc
    Carbon Copy Cloner - for you to do a nice backup of your drive

that is pretty much what i have done with my beloved MBP

9. No1nfoProvided macrumors 6502

I think Chrome's still the best and quickest at loading pages, but I like the way Safari handles PDFs, so I use that. Firefox blows on Mac, but it's my main browser on Windows.

10. wilflare macrumors member

another vote for Google Chrome, it's sweet on the MAC

11. highr0lla thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright cool I guess ill be sticking with chrome!

12. nwbusa macrumors regular

13. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Sleeve vs hardshell....
    Not really the same thing, considering you can double up and use both.
    But sleeves are cool I guess (until you take it off).
    Hardshells go on and stay on, save for the monthly/biweekly cleaning. Have used them for 3 years with no I'll effects.

14. No1nfoProvided macrumors 6502

Some people have seen some scratches due to dirt or something getting trapped inside the hardshell, though. Which hardshell do you use? Maybe it could help OP out on what to decide.

15. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

For the MBP, i've used both the speck and the incase. I like the incase slightly better because the top case design is slightly different, and I like incase's implementation. However my new 2010 incase is incredibly tight around the edges on both the bottom and top pieces, and allows the screen to tilt to a great range. I've never had an issue with dirt/crumbs actually scratching the unit in a protected area. The only reason i've had to clean it is because a small amount of dust would accumulate in the slits on the underside. I'd also clean it whenever it'd have to go to Apple for service.

16. highr0lla thread starter macrumors newbie

Ya I've also been hearing about scratching due to hard cases. Also, I understand I can get both but I would rather make one good decision and get just one. So you would recommend the incase and not speck?

17. daviduj macrumors newbie

Slow closing keynote icon mbp 15 2010 i7

Hey ! I am new inside mac world, and i bought a new i7 macbook pro 15 one week ago and i installed iWok 09 and i works perfect but when i close it in dock bar the icon of keynote application closes slowly so i hope some one can response....and giveme some help !! thank every one ohhh by the way when i close parallels icon closes slowly too... just with intel hd video card

Notes: Whe i use a Nvidia 330M every application close fast... no matter what application i use

18. budman1961 macrumors regular

I have the Zagg shields on my MBP for 6 months now, very happy!:)

19. No1nfoProvided macrumors 6502

Maybe I should have gone with a hard case because after 4.5 years, my MBP is pretty beat up. It has a couple dents and a few scratches. I used a sleeve for a while, but after the scratches I just stuck the thing in my Targus backpack whenever I wanted to take it somewhere. I also don't like the way those hard cases look on the MBP, but I dunno.

20. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Either works. Just go for whichever one has a color/style you like. I like clear, so I got the speck.

21. highr0lla thread starter macrumors newbie

Ya I think I'll get the black speck case. Thanks for the help!

22. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

Switched to Safari (from FF) about 3 months ago and never looked back. Safari is faster and has a more integrated look/feel. JMO.

Never tried Chrome............... won't go with the evil empire.

congrats on the new computer
    JohnG

23. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Chrome is the best browser in my opinion...and it depends whether you want it protected during storage and use or just storage(sleeve). I personally have a Tuscano Second Skin for mine and I love it but I would never get a sleeve because I dont want to change the actual look and feel of the macbook

24. mpdonlanjr macrumors newbie

check amazon for the hardcases and sleeves got myself a speck hardshell for my 13"MBP and the pixel slevee shipped for $65 almost as much as the price of the case from best buy or the speck website

25. wilflare macrumors member

ugh. just kinda scratched the edge of wrapsol. -kinda crushed together a small minute bit- OCD OCD