New MBP owner

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Edwin124, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Edwin124 macrumors member

hello all! i've got a quick question regarding my MBP...is charging the MBP like charging the iphone? once it gets to 100% does it run off the battery or does it run of the ac power source?

only reason i ask is because if it doesn't run off the ac power source i dont want to leave it plugged in for a long period of time and potentially damage the battery

thanks in advance!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Leaving it plugged in is fine and it'll run off a/c power as all laptops that I know of do in the same state. You'll want to calibrate your battery though.

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Should/will run off the AC adaptor. To improve the life of your battery, you WANT to let your battery die every month rather than leaving it connected to the AC adaptor.

For some reason, people believe that by leaving it connected whenever possible improves battery life which is not true and in some cases even bad for the battery.

A battery is there for you to use, so use it! ;)

(of course you could always run your portable with just the AC adaptor and with the battery removed but that will decrease performance by approx. 40%)

4. Edwin124 thread starter macrumors member

thanks!!!!

how do i calibrate it?

i just got it today and charged it to 100%, i let it run completely out and was waiting to hear back before i plugged it back in

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Let it die completely and it needs to sit for 5 hours. Just do it before you're heading off to bed and you'll be fine. You're not using it while sleeping anyway.

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

7. Edwin124 thread starter macrumors member

sweet, well i doubt i'll be up for 5 hours as it just died about 20 min ago...in the link posted on how to calibrate it says leave it off for 5 or more hours...would you guys recommend i just let it be until the morning when i get up for work and just plug it in then? if i do that it'll be plugged in for 8 hours or more though :confused:

8. Edwin124 thread starter macrumors member

9. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

After letting it sit for 5 or more hours, the time needed to fully charge does not matter.

The critical part is letting it sleep or get very low and letting it sit for 5 or more hours.