New MBP owners/gamers?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Ceebee1980, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Ceebee1980 macrumors regular

Strange question, but just got a 2011 MBP, and the only buddies I have who are gamers have fallen off the wagon. Wondered if there's anybody here who is just starting, or about to start out with any of the below games:

-WoW
    -Dragon Age 1 or 2
    -WC3 Frozen Throne

Looking for some people to join games with once I finish a big work project this week. Hit me up on iChat (google talk): ceebee1980

2. Hansr macrumors 6502a

3. Evilcivic macrumors newbie

I have just started playing WoW. So addicted to this game.

4. Ceebee1980, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011

Ceebee1980 thread starter macrumors regular

Really? I got the demo, and will probably subscribe one I finish writing something this week. How do you go about joining groups/clans/whatever they're called?
    I'm also trying to figure out what exactly Steam is/does. I missed an awful lot since I stopped gaming on my 2006 MBP lol

5. Box215 macrumors newbie

steam is an online store/community with which you can purchase games and keep up with your friends online (forums, groups, etc).

Once you buy a game, you can download it on any system you have steam downloaded on, obviously only signed into one at a time. I have CS: Source on both my OS X and Win 7 partitions

6. Ceebee1980 thread starter macrumors regular

So is it stored on your hdd, or steam's cloud? I guess I'm just confused by the interface/purpose. It's just an alternative to purchasing games via dvd/cd?

Sorry if this seems ignorant, but I just turned 30, and feel left behind technologically since I've been out of the loop.

7. Hansr macrumors 6502a

Yes it's stored on your HDD but re-downloadable anytime on any machine you're logged into. Yes it's a digital download application.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_(software)

8. Ceebee1980 thread starter macrumors regular

9. Hansr macrumors 6502a

Yes although that labeling is a bit of a egg and hen argument since digital distribution of software predates the App Store. Steam lunched in 2003 etc.

10. Ceebee1980 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm just using the term generically. I mean... until Apple pays off everybody and wins their trademark to the name :D

11. tracyrrichards, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2011

tracyrrichards macrumors newbie

I just have finished NFS Hot Pursuit 2010 but i waited til last 4 months for the Tom Clancy's Future Soldier. I love to play Tom Clancy's all the games.