New MBP Penryn and Magsafe light

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DocEmmettBrown, Apr 10, 2008.

1. DocEmmettBrown macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I've received a week ago my new (and first) MBP, with the Penrin core, ordered at the Italian Apple Store (and sorry for my English).
    I've seen a strange behavior with the Magsafe (it happened two times in a week): when the MBP is fully charged (green light), after some time (1 hour or two) the green led on the magsafe switches off. This occurs not every time (since yesterday it has never happened again), but randomly...
    If I unplug and replug the magnetic plug the light returns on and green.
    I think the MBP is anyway under AC power, even if the light is off (it happened only two times, I have not made a lot of tests).
    Is this an "harmful" behavior?
    The Apple Care told me to go to a local Apple Assistance center, I went and they told me that the problem could be the MBP, not the adapter, even if they didn't try any test or did not opened the MBP to check.
    Is there anybody that noticed this strange behavior? What should I do? It's my first MBP, should I resend it to Apple? Or is it a normal behavior and should I not to worry?
    Thanks...

2. Spud Murphy macrumors newbie

Spud Murphy

I have also had this behavior with a new 2.6 Macbook Pro when I initially got it, but after a couple of weeks it seems to have worked itself out and only does it very rarely now. I have not seen anything which would lead me to believe that anything bad is happening to either the machine itself or the magsafe.

3. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

I have seen this behavior in a MacBook before, when I took that MacBook power adapter to the apple store they tested it on another computer and it was doing the same thing, they happily switched them out and haven't had a problem. They said something about there being a badly soldered connection or a loose connection that over time expands and looses contact.

4. matperk macrumors 6502

Yeah, from what I've been told, it's losing connection on that fifth pin inside the magsafe connector. The repair center I went to wouldn't even switch it out on my brother's macbook. I probably could've talked them into it, but neither he nor I thought it was a big deal.