New MBP (Penryn) hard drive ribbon question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pinnacleseeker, Mar 3, 2008.

1. pinnacleseeker macrumors newbie

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post on the MacRumors forum.

I finally took the plunge and purchased a new 2.4 GHz MBP from my local apple store. I've upgraded the RAM from 2GB to 4GB, and so far I really love the system.

My question is related to a concern about the default 200 GB HD that comes with my model. I noticed there has been quite a bit of discussion concerning a ribbon cable blocking the hard drive's air hole. I read one post saying that the stock hard drive had it's air hole covered by the factory ribbon cable.

Can anyone that's opened up there new MBP comment on the state of their hard drive's air hole. My hard drive manufacturer is Hitachi, and the capacity is 200 GB.

Much Thanks

2. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

The crux of the matter with the other thread you are talking about was that the ribbon cable would cover the new WD3200BEVT drive the OP purchased because the original drive had it's hole in the opposite side of the new drive.

It did not concern the default drives at all. Don't worry. Apple may apply bad thermal paste but are hardly as stupid as actually destroying their own hardware by blocking the HD vent per default. :)

3. pinnacleseeker thread starter macrumors newbie

New MBP (Penryn) hard drive ribbon question [UPDATED]

I decided to open up my new MBP to make absolutely sure that the ribbon was not covering the air hole. Guess what... the ribbon was exactly on top of the hole, almost like it was deliberately placed there!

I moved the ribbon slightly to the left, and put everything back together. In hindsight I'm glad I took the time to confirm what I had suspected.