New MBP prices - are they likely to rise?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jimmyfingers, Jan 21, 2008.

  1. jimmyfingers macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2008
    #1
    I was going to get a MBP 2.4 Glossy as a refurb but they've been sold out now for a few days. This got me thinking, if the Penryn's are released in the next few weeks maybe I could get the base model, as Apple Insider believe they will be using the new 2.5 and 2.6 processors.

    But do Apple tend to keep prices the same following updates or do they tend to increase them? If they stay the same I could 'potentially' have a brand new base model MBP with the new 2.5 penryn for £1299 rather than the existing 2.4 as a refurb for the same price!
     
  2. durant0s macrumors regular

    durant0s

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2008
    Location:
    Houston, TX
    #2
    I doubt the base price would stay the same if the base processing speed changed. I'm waiting to get a new one for sure, I would do the same if I was you even if you have to pay a little more.
     
  3. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

    skyrider007

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2007
    Location:
    Bangkok
  4. ahaxton macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2008
    #4
    I think there is a VERY good chance for the prices to go up.
     
  5. djinn macrumors 68000

    djinn

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2003
  6. ~~Hello~~ macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2007
    #6
    Well they reduced them when the new SR macbook pros came out...
     
  7. jimmyfingers thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2008
    #7
    I guess it depends which comes first as to what I'll buy. The current model is still stunning looking and will be perfect for my needs. I'll probably only keep it for a year and then upgrade again.
     
  8. roland.g macrumors 603

    roland.g

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2005
    Location:
    One mile up and soaring
    #8
    The prices will stay the same or go down, most likely stay the same but certainly not go up.
     
  9. gazfocus macrumors 68000

    gazfocus

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2008
    Location:
    Liverpool, UK
    #9
    Apple don't really tend to put their prices up. Also, if you know someone at university, ask them to get your MBP for you as you get 14% off at the HE Online Store.

    I personally would wait (that's what I'm doing and have been waiting since last August).

    Apple released new ipods last year, new Apple TV this year, and the prices went down. If anything, the prices will go down, but my feeling is they are likely to stay the same as they are now.
     
  10. SheriffParker macrumors 6502a

    SheriffParker

    Joined:
    May 24, 2006
    Location:
    The land of love
    #10
    :confused:
     
  11. roland.g macrumors 603

    roland.g

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2005
    Location:
    One mile up and soaring
    #11
    Maybe he was talking about the remaining stock, or the price of the refurbs on older units.
     
  12. aristobrat macrumors G4

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2005
    #12
    FWIW, MacRumors has a Buyers Guide link (towards the top of the page) that tracks the prices of Apple devices.

    Code:
    09/2003 = $1999, $2599, $2999 (PowerBooks)
    04/2004 = $1999, $2499, $2799 (PowerBooks)
    01/2005 = $1999, $2299, $2699 (PowerBooks)
    10/2005 = $1999,      , $2499 (PowerBooks)
    
    01/2006 = $1999, $2499,       (MacBook Pros)
    04/2006 =      ,      , $2799 (MacBook Pros)
    10/2006 = $1999, $2499, $2799 (MacBook Pros)
    06/2007 = $1999, $2499, $2799 (MacBook Pros)
    Looks like since the MacBook Pros have been out, the US price hasn't changed. But who knows what future holds?
     
  13. mashoutposse macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2003
    #13
    It appears that Apple's MBP strategy has been to build the best laptop that they can for $1999 and then charge for upgrades from there. I would expect the base model to remain $1999 as the current model has already fallen out of line with "competing" products.
     
  14. gazfocus macrumors 68000

    gazfocus

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2008
    Location:
    Liverpool, UK
    #14
    If only Apple prices were that good in the UK. The base model is $600 more here
     
  15. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

    GimmeSlack12

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2005
    Location:
    San Francisco
    #15
    I agree 100% with this statement. The price will not go up.
     
  16. gazfocus macrumors 68000

    gazfocus

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2008
    Location:
    Liverpool, UK
    #16
    I was going to originally buy a 2.4GHz MBP, but I'm waiting for the updates and then I can spend the extra on a Time Capsule or an iPod
     
  17. jimmyfingers thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2008
    #17
    Think I'll wait for the updates and then just get the base model - and try to resist upgrades like 7200 HD etc !
     
  18. gescom macrumors regular

    gescom

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2007
    Location:
    Westerville, OH.
  19. gazfocus macrumors 68000

    gazfocus

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2008
    Location:
    Liverpool, UK
    #19
    I was originally going to BTO the hard drive but found a guy on ebay selling a 320GB Western Digital Hdd for a good price so will stick that in when I get a MBP :)
     
  20. aristobrat macrumors G4

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2005
    #20
    Personally, after seeing the steps required to replace a drive in the current model MBP, I'll BTO my next one with a larger drive (if they don't change the design to make it a lot easier!!) :eek:
     
  21. djinn macrumors 68000

    djinn

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2003
    #21
    Honestly the steps don't look that bad. Just follow the guide on ifixit.com
     
  22. Radio Monk33 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2007
    #22
    I'm hoping that the Canadian prices are reduced to being closer in-line to the US dollar value. So I'm thinking it can only go down. :)
     
  23. gescom macrumors regular

    gescom

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2007
    Location:
    Westerville, OH.
    #23
    and then "simply follow the directions in reverse order." - ifixit

    I love how they shore up an otherwise lengthy process by doing this. Genius I say simply genius...
     
  24. djinn macrumors 68000

    djinn

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2003
    #24
    :) Don't fear your Apple, Love it! :D
     
  25. gazfocus macrumors 68000

    gazfocus

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2008
    Location:
    Liverpool, UK
    #25
    The reason I decided to do my own upgrade is a) because of the ifixit instructions and b)Apple wanted £150 to upgrade from 120GB to 250GB (and then losing the 120GB), whereas doing it myself, the 320GB drive cost £125 and I can put the 120GB in an external enclosure and use it as a USB drive.
     

Share This Page