New MBP pro switcher- Transfer rates for data ethernet vs usb?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macnewbdude, Mar 3, 2008.

1. macnewbdude macrumors newbie

Hi all!

I'm about to be a switcher, my new MBP is in the mail :) very excited about this.

I bought a LaCie hard drive with firewire 800, 400, and usb connections for backup using time machine and to backup my current computer.

I have about 11 gB of music that I have not backed up and is on my dell hard drive. The computer only has a USB 1 connection or ethernet with a netgear fa311 fast ethernet adapter PCI card.

I am pretty knowledgeable with computers but have never learned much about networking. So will it be faster to transfer this 11 GB to the external hard drive using very slow USB and then to the new Mac with firewire 800 or to connect the two computers directly with an ethernet cable? The speed of the ethernet transfer is what I don't know, but I think it should be very very fast, correct????

Also, I plan on setting up bootcamp with WinXP for gaming, since I have a legal copy of windows officeXP pro 2003 currently I might by fusion to use it in OSX. My question is what file format will the office files be saved in? is the bootcamp partition going to be NTSF and the office files saved there or through fusion will I be able to save my office files on the mac format and open them in Fusion?

2. nick9191 macrumors 68040

You can drag and drop files between fusion and OSX and vice versa, fusion does all the work. Office for mac is fully compatible with Office for windows. Open office is nearly compatible. iWork is not however you have an option to export it as .doc

Ethernet will be quicker, 100meg or gigabit.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Your ethernet connection will be 100Mbps, wheras your USB will be 12Mbps, and you have to copy it twice. That will be your fastest connection.

TEG

4. Vanyasteen macrumors newbie

Do not attempt to plug your LaCie HD into the Dull (err, Dell) computer! LaCie is one of the few brands that comes formatted for Mac OS out of the box. Either the PC won't see it it at all, or if it does see it, it'll try to format it for use on the PC. I forget which, it's been a while since I sullied my hands on a PC.

Connect the Mac to the Dell via etherenet, either through a router or directly with a cable. Then make Windows file sharing active on both machines, start iTunes on the Mac, then drag the folder containing your music files into the open iTunes window.

5. macnewbdude thread starter macrumors newbie

I've had the lacie for a couple months for a windows backup, so i already reformatted it to store the rest of my documents and pictures and stuff on. after i transfer all that stuff to the mbp I'll reformat it to HFS for use with time machine.

btw, when using time machine, it is not a bootable backup correct? like if something were to go completely wrong with my mbp and i needed to reload the OS from scratch, i couldn't do that with what time machine stores. What is the best way to create a backup where I can just restore my whole computer and how much space would it take up