New Mbp - Problems, Issues, & 2nd Thoughts

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by garyoke, Nov 13, 2008.

1. garyoke macrumors member

I still love, or at least really like, the new MBP. But there are definitely issues that are beginning to irk me.

First among these has to be the oft cited track pad issue. It locks up. Too frequently for me to adapt to. It seems to happen most often when the cursor is on the right side of the screen. It locks for several seconds. Steve - I want the fix/update for this and I WANT IT NOW.

Second - web pages, applications, word documents - close or shift or redirect me automatically. This too has been previously reported. I WANT THE FIX NOW.

I didn't go out and buy the new MBP simply to be first to jump on the new laptop band wagon. I needed a replacement for my much used and beloved Pbook 1.33 - which I continue to use as a back up.

Any one else experience these issues? Any one else feel the frustration? Any one else want to give Steve an ear full about this?

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Although it doesn't really excuse the issues at hand, first gen units (especially in apples case) are prone to bugs and glitches, maybe you should trade it in for a Classic MBP...

3. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

I have no idea what you're talking about on your 2nd point but am also frustrated w/ the track pad issues. I've heard this is a software issue and is being dealt with immediately. Hopefully the patch comes soon. Its driving me nuts too, to the point where I'd rather just use a mouse; other than that my MBP has been perfect!

Ya cause the "classic" model is free from bugs. :rolleyes:

4. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Likewise I have no idea what your second point is.

On the first point, I've found what is causing the problem for me not clicking is my thumb. If the thumb is almost touching it can register as touching and then it thinks it's a two finger action rather than a single finger click. Also if the edge of my thumb is touching for the click it often doesn't register but if I lift up and use the tip of the thumb or finger it works fine.

I think they can fix this in software but until then, doing this for me eliminates the majority of my not registering clicks.

5. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

I get irked when I read a new thread about the same old issues.

6. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

I've noticed that too. Whenever using notebooks in the past I'd leave my finger on the trackpad and click w/ my thumb on the button...when i do that now it definitely registers as 2 finger click.

My problem w/ the trackpad though stems more from the cursor freezing up for 3-5 seconds and then working again. I'm not sure what causes this but apparently Apple is working on a bug fix so one would assume its not a hardware issue which is a relief.

7. Red-red macrumors 6502

Does the trackpad issue affect everybody?

I've had mine a week now and I've been using it a hell of a lot ( new toy etc ) and I haven't noticed it. Maybe once a click didn't register but I "think" that was the program not the trackpad. It might have been though but I just haven't noticed.

I don't know what the second point is either.

As for switching back to the old MBP. no no no no no..... It was a good machine, keyword....was. They look old now they really do. Even more so when you see them side by side the new.

On a side note, I wonder how well the new one will deal with day to day use. ie a friend has the old one and you can tell he's hammered it. With the new one having none of the plastic, screws, joints or separate parts the old one had it should in theory be a bit more robust?

8. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

I emailed Steve Jobs this morning about the trackpad issue and he responded shortly before noon with the following:

"Fix is coming soon.

Sent from my iPhone"

9. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I'm happy to see that he's in the lab and working on the weekend.While he's at it maybe an optional matte display for Christmas would be appreciated.:D

10. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

I'm sure it was from one of his cronies, but from what I can tell it was actually sent from an iPhone (so not just a marketing tagline used as a signature to promote the iPhone). Still, it's cool to see "Steve Jobs" in my inbox.