New MBP: Problems when connecting an external Cinema Display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ricardo-sf, Mar 3, 2008.

1. ricardo-sf macrumors newbie

I got a new MBP last week. (2.5 Ghz Penryn, standard build, matte)

I connected it at home to my 20" Cinema Display (which is about 4 years old).

What I noticed the first time was that it blinked a few times (from the display screen to blue back to the display screen, back to blue, etc).

And finally settled.

It worked fine all weekend, and finally on sunday, it wont settle down anymore. When i connect the 20" cinemda display through the HDMI connector it just blinks over and over and over (blue to display back to blue).

Anyone have any ideas of what could be wrong? and how to address it. I took the MBP back to the store and we tested it there with a cinema display and it worked fine. It blinks only once and then the new display is working.

I also tested it at work with some DELL 20" monitors and it worked fine. So i dont think its the MBP hardware, but possibly something about the old cinema displays and the software on the MBP..

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Sounds like a problem with the cinema display. Does the display work with other DVI sources?

TEG

3. ricardo-sf thread starter macrumors newbie

Update...

I called in to apple tech support and got passed up to level 2 support, where the tech guy told me that the older cinema displays (mine is about 4 or 5 years old) are only supported by the old G4 and G5 line of computers and are not supported by the mac book pro ..

.. doesn't this sound a little ridiculous? ..

4. anmoldagreat macrumors member

thats when you buy a new one and put your old one in the box and just return it.

5. ricardo-sf thread starter macrumors newbie

Holy **** .. thats brilliant! .... think they'd notice? ..

i love macs .. but i hate that apple ****s me in the ass for hardware costs all the time.

6. Joko macrumors 6502

Joko

I can't see why it wouldn't work? If it worked initially surely that means that it can work?

I had a similar problem with my external monitor and reconnecting the cables and making sure connections were secure sorted the problem out. But I'm sure you've tried that already..

7. anmoldagreat macrumors member

its worked before
    i bought a monitor calibrator off newegg and it didnt work so i just did an exchange at the local apple store and now everyone's happy.

im not sure if itd work with your monitor though. they may check sns.

8. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Is this the Aluminum Display for the Plastic Display? The plastic displays do not use DVI, they use ADC and require an adapter to send power, USB, and signal.

TEG

9. ricardo-sf thread starter macrumors newbie

The monitor has a DVI connector .. its not an ADC connector ..

there is a serial number at the bottom of the monitor .. i bet though that the sticker can be moved ..

i think they may charge me a 10% restocking fee ..

10. digisam macrumors newbie

Hmmm I am having the same symptoms with my KVM (Lindy KVM Switch Lite DVI 2 Port)

Though when i plug the cinema screen straight into MPB it works fine.

My screen is well over four years old now as i purchased it with my G5 tower.

Works fine directly. Though through the KVM doesn't work. (unless in windows)