New MBP - problems with LAN

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by toontra, Sep 20, 2013.

1. toontra macrumors 6502

Just got a 2011 MBP to replace my 2009 white Macbook. I swapped the SSD and updated to ML from Snow Leopard.

I'm now having real problems with my LAN, which comprises Mac Pro and Synology NAS (both ethernet) and a Virgin Superhub 1 (router/modem). My old MacBook worked fine in this setup and I could transfer files to/from any machine wirelessly.

Since getting the MBP however, transferring files in a painfully slow business with many timeouts. This also affects Time Machine backs, which take far longer than they should and frequently fail. Lots of beach ball spinning too and have had to force restart the finder several times.

Everything else in the LAN setup is unchanged so what can be causing these problems - MBP? ML? Anyone any ideas? Thanks.

2. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Done any standard troubleshooting? Does the issue go away if the new MBP is removed from the network? Is performance only affected for the MBP or for the Mac Pro as well?

3. toontra, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2013

toontra thread starter macrumors 6502

Just the obvious things (don't know that much about LANs) like restarting the modem, rebooting all machines, etc.

Files transfer between NAS and Mac Pro as normal.

Doing a few more tests today I found that transferring files TO the MBP from either the NAS or Mac Pro seems to work as normal, but when I try and transfer the same files FROM the MBP to either of the same devices I get the slow, stuttering transfer speeds with finder freezes, beach balls and failed transfers.

As I mentioned, I also get these problems when doing a Time Machine backup to the NAS.

Cheers.

4. toontra thread starter macrumors 6502

Thinking about this, everything points to a problem with either the MacBook or Mountain Lion.

For a start, nothing else in my LAN has changed. Also, any problems with the router & other hardware wouldn't cause the finder on the MacBook to freeze.

Mainly, though, the previous MacBook (with Snow Leopard) worked faultlessly on the same LAN.

EDIT: A (possibly) separate issue is I have had 3 kernel panics in the last week, all with the same message:

"BSD process name corresponding to current thread: 1PasswordAgent"

My 1Password database is on my Dropbox cloud (therefore accessed via network). The app and extensions are up to date.