New MBP purchase advice please!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nconnella, Nov 6, 2011.

1. nconnella macrumors regular

Basically I can get the top of the line 2011 Feb 15" macbook pro that has the Radeon HD 6750M 1GB for the same price as the base line new this october model that has the Radeon HD 6750M 512MB.

My question is, is the newer (but same spec) 2.2GHZ intel processor with the 512MB video card better than the slightly older 2.2GHZ intel, but 1GB of video memory? I do a lot of HD video editing and some gaming. Where should I put my money?

Thanks!

2. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

The processors are different between the two. The older MBP is technically a bit quicker as the turbo boost goes to 3.3GHz vs 3.1GHz. It's also got some extra virtualisation features (VT-d) which are not commonly used and are disabled on the current model CPU.

To be honest I doubt you'd notice the difference. Perhaps the extra VRAM would swing it.

3. Mersailios macrumors regular

I don't think you're going to see a huge difference in performance between the two, I would recommend the Early 2011 MacBook Pro due to the fact that it has more video memory and that alone may work to your advantage when playing games (depending on the game and the settings that you choose to use).

That being said, is the Early 2011 model that you're looking at a refurbished model or a used one from a previous owner? If it is used from a previous owner I would also recommend taking into consideration the length of warranty that is remaining on the computer.

4. nconnella thread starter macrumors regular

It's a new one from an authorized reseller. I went ahead and ordered it (it was the last one, plus they upgraded my memory to 8gb for $49 wooho!). I also discovered that under geek benchmark tests, the older one outperforms the newer one even though they both have 2.2ghz. Ok I feel confident in my purchase now. Thanks for the insight :)

5. djpuma macrumors regular

Where did you order from?
    I'm currently looking for the 2011 2.2ghz with the 1gb video card as well.
    Apple has refurbs, but I'm trying to save on tax and either get one from macmall (don't have any refurbs) or another spot that sells refurbs or clearance items

6. nconnella thread starter macrumors regular

got it from abt electronics. they are out of glossy (got the last one) but it looks like they still have the anti-glare. the deal for the memory upgrade ended yesterday but the computer itself is still a great deal. Just under 2k.

7. daftpunkstu macrumors member

I was just about to suggest to check the geekbenches for both [​IMG] i would have gone with the older one anyways

8. nconnella thread starter macrumors regular

9. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Good find. Thanks.

Surprised that the newer ones are that far off the pace. It's possible they've changed brand of HDD.