New MBP Purchase - Thoughts & Thanks

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SRF, Oct 11, 2007.

1. SRF macrumors newbie

I’ve been an avid reader of these forums over the past couple of months and I am pleased to find myself moved to write about how delighted I am with my new purchase!

Given that these forums are (naturally and helpfully) weighted towards problems and concerns I thought I’d offer some positive comments and reassurance.

I had been patiently awaiting the arrival of Leopard – until 48 hrs ago when I gave in and bought my first Mac – 15” MBP 2Gb 2.4GHz Matte – which is a thing of joy and beauty (ok, I may be overdoing this).

My initial comments are:

Yellowing screen – None, it’s perfect.

Matte or Glossy – Very nearly bought the glossy screen (hard to get in London store) as currently have a glossy Vaio and have always liked the display, the reflections have never bothered me. Struggled to choose between the two until I started playing with the display profiles in store. The factory setting looks a little washed out to me and that was what pushed me towards the glossy. Having adjusted in store (and now used SuperCal at home) the silky, rich matte display looks a treat.

Parallels and Vista - First thing I did was to install these (a big ask for a Mac novice) and I was a bit worried about the process (which is very easy) and whether choosing Vista was a big mistake. Early days but as I’m only intending to use Vista for MS Office it seems to run very well and is pretty quick. I’m slightly irritated by Parallels, having purchased V3 I’ve been sent an earlier version with a free “Write to us for the latest version” upgrade. Still, that went off by email last night and I hope it will turn up quickly. If Vista works well in my current earlier version I’m sure that it will only get better in the latest.

Overall I couldn’t be happier with my purchase. Many thanks to all contributors here for the advice and tips which have been invaluable.

2. devman macrumors 65816

devman

Good for you! and congrats on the new machine.

Thanks also for taking the time to write in your positive comments. It's a welcome change.

3. kumbaya macrumors regular

Congrats!

So glad you're enjoying your Mac experience..

do have a look around the forum for threads on 'must have' apps or 'now what?' threads for other ways to enhance your MBP

nice to hear of a positive story too!

:) :apple: