New MBP Quad core or Dual Core

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Joeguy, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Joeguy macrumors newbie

I am planning on buying an new MBP for personal use. I occasionally use Adobe suit programs and encode many movies. Performance wise (completely ignoring screen and hard drive size) should I get either:
    The upper end 13'' with 8GB RAM and 2.9Ghz Dual Core CPU
    Or
    The lower end 15'' with 4GB RAM (maybe upgrade it on my own) and 2.3 Ghz Quad Core CPU

I'd rather spend more money if the second one is really SO much better speed wise.

2. Black.Infinity macrumors 6502

Black.Infinity

encoding programs consume %100 all of the cpu
    two more cores means more power and also half-time compare to dual core

3. Joeguy thread starter macrumors newbie

What about the speed of each core?
    Can you compare the processors by multiplying the number of cores by the speed?

Dual core x 2.9ghz = 5.8
    Quad core x 2.3ghz = 9.2

I might be completely wrong but is that a good way of comparing them?

4. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Either is capable overall. The 15" is faster. It should be noticeable too, but I wouldn't call it essential. 8GB of ram is a good idea either way. A lot of things have bumped their recommended specs that high, and you can get it after market for $50 or less with a lifetime warranty. Just run memtest when you get the ram to make sure it's good as bad sticks do slip through.

5. Joeguy thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a way of getting either for $200 off. I'm leaning towards the 13 inch, but I'm not buying till I feel sure. Truthfully I have an older machine so really either is a huge speed boost.

6. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

You'd probably be fine with the 13". With 16GB of ram I can deal with gigantic CS files and a lot of layers (well 16GB +ssd) on my 2.3 from last year. I don't think either is going to feel choppy, but you could play with them in the store.

7. Joeguy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help I'm probably getting the 13 inch