New MBP question about up-to-date program

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by toronado455, Jul 24, 2011.

1. toronado455 macrumors regular

toronado455

Bought a new MacBook Pro two days ago (July 22nd). I'd like to leave it at 10.6.8 for now. But I only have 30 days to redeem my "free Lion upgrade" from Apple as per this: http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/

Is it possible to redeem this offer without actually downloading/installing Lion right now, and then install Lion in the future?

Also, can I download Lion without installing it, or will it automatically install if I download it?

2. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

If it gives you a way to redeem via the MAS, you should be able to download anytime by using the purchased tab

3. toronado455, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011

toronado455 thread starter macrumors regular

toronado455

OK, I've gone through the process on the Apple website of ordering Lion for free and getting the redeem code (AKA "Mac OS X Lion Content Code") on my receipt. I don't want to download it now. If I redeem this in the Mac App Store, will it automatically start downloading or will it just be an item in the "Purchased" list available to download?

EDIT: Well I redeemed the code and it started downloading. Oh well, I hope it doesn't take too long or require I install it.

EDIT 2: I cancelled the download, and it now appears as available to install in the Purchases. I guess that is the process you must go through if you want to do what I wanted.