New MBP - Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by saberahul, Jun 14, 2011.

1. saberahul macrumors 68040

Hey,

I just bought a brand new MBP so I am quite new to this. I installed AutoCad and some other things on my MBP but I see their installer files saved on my desktop. For example, I see GoogleVoiceAndVideo.mpkg saved on my desktop. If right click and click on eject - I can no longer video chat from Gmail. How do I get rid of these icons from my desktop? Dragging to trash just ejects them.

2. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Usually installation/setups just ask you to either run an installer or move the application to the Applications folder. Did you do it this way?

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You need to drag the application to your Applications folder (or your Desktop, or wherever you want to install them). For AutoCAD, the installer should have put it in your Applications folder. For Google Voice and Video, the .mpkg should have installed a plugin that lets you voice/video chat through the GMail web interface.

You should not be launching things from their Disk Images on the desktop.

4. saberahul thread starter macrumors 68040

Ya thank you for your reply. AutoCAD is in the application folder and Google chat works like you mentioned. I am not launching them from the disk image I am launching them from the apps folder. My question is: how do I get rid of this disk icon sitting on my desktop?

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Disk Image icons are "ejected"- after which they go away. .dmg files, that create disk images, can be put in the Trash.

6. saberahul thread starter macrumors 68040

Okay i tried that but when I ejected the disk image icon for Google video talk plugin - it stopped working. As in, after ejecting it I stopped seeing the video icon next to my name in Safari.

7. saberahul thread starter macrumors 68040

Okay thanks to all of you for your super fast replies. I took another plunge at ejecting the icons and now my programs seem to be working still. Maybe something went wrong the first time. Thanks again :)

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's because you're running it from the dmg, rather than dragging from the dmg to your Applications folder.

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You installed the plugin, correct? It's possible the plugin is incompatible on the newest MBPs, although that seems unlikely.

The Google Video plugin is an .mpkg, which should run an installer that updates the browser. It's not something you run independently, like an application.