New MBP - Questions (1st time Mac user)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by amitdoc2b, Mar 24, 2008.

1. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

I have some questions regarding how to use some of the things on my new MBP:

1) On Windows id use MS PAINT to open photos, make them smaller (like convert them from 4mb to 300kb) so they were easier to e-mail and wouldn't be huge when my friends or family open them. I tried using iPhoto but even at its smallest size it stays in the 2-3mb range. How do I make them smaller like I used to on MS Paint? And if I can't use iPhoto or any of the software that comes with my MBP, what free program should I download and use?

2) What is the program that people use to see the temperature of their MBP? And what are normal ranges normally?

3) If I use Yahoo Messenger, how do I make the streaming webcam of the person im viewing a little larger (it looks about 320x240)? On Yahoo Messenger for Windows it would be about 640x480.

4) Another Yahoo Messenger question for Mac, the video stream of myself is attached to the bottom of buddy list. Is it possible drag it or move it away from there to anywhere else on my screen and off the buddy list itself?

5) What is the program people use to see how their battery life is compared to when they first purchased their MBP?

6) Finally, where can I look to make sure all the features I ordered on my MBP are present? I was only able to right click and see the hard-drive is 250gb.

Thanks.. I really appreciate your help. So far im loving cute little features like the clock talking and telling me the time every half hour, scrolling thru previously or newly opened websites by dragging my fingers left and right, etc..

2. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

You can use preview

iStats

Coconut

?? Like ??

You can go to System Information (off the Apple logo on menu bar) and see detailed information on your MBP.

3. Wingnut330 macrumors 6502a

Not trying to get you to spend more money than you have too but, I bought a Casio EXILIM camera. One reason I did is even though it's an 8MP camera, it has 2 very cool 'web friendly' features:

1. A Youtube mode that captures video in a smaller file size easy to import to the web.

2. An eBay mode that takes pictures in a format that are ready to post on the web - no conversion necessary.

Those features are handy because I post a lot of things on the web for family to see and this way I spend less time converting and posting them.

4. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys for posting.. well im looking to check the status of how much RAM, processor speed, and anywhere I can see info about the screen (high resolution glossy), etc..

Thanks again.

5. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

Any help from others on the other questions I had? I'll check out "Preview" today and try to figure out how to make pics smaller.

6. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

I don't use yahoo so those questions are out.

as far as the others (the ones I replied)

the 2 apps I mentioned are probably by far the most used.

system information is where you'll find detailed info on your machine.

7. PowerBookRelic macrumors 6502

To get to the system information:
    1) Click the Apple on the top left of your screen
    2) Select 'about this mac'
    The window that appears will give you basic information, such as, the processor speed, the version os OS X you are running and the memory. If you desire more....
    3) Select 'more info...' button

As far as your questions regarding Yahoo messenger. I have been using Adium X for an AIM-type program. I love it because it is ultra customizable and I have never had a problem with it (plus, AIM looks horrible in OS X). As far as using Yahoo for video stream, I don't know since I don't have a cam on my PBG4, but I have been with friends who have used iChat (a native Mac app), and it seems to work well/intuitively....

8. phatcat macrumors regular

I have a follow-up question.

Vista comes w/ "Snipping Tool" which is similar to PrintKey. It allows you to capture a portion of your desktop to copy/paste or save into a document. You basically create a box of the portion of the screen you want to capture.

Does Leopard offer something similar?

9. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

yes, unfortunately I haven't memorized the keystrokes, I'm sure someone will comment this.

there's 1 that I know of to do full screen capture, and another which changes your cursor so you can select a rectangle area and then snips it.

It's like command+ shift+ 3 and command+ shift + 4

EDIT: Ok I did the leg work and got the keyboard shortcut sheet: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75459

10. ogacon macrumors newbie

i believe its command shift 3 for full screen, and cmd shift 4 for snippet, cmd shift 4 space for a single window.

http://www.usingmac.com/2007/11/21/mac-os-x-leopard-200-productivity-booster-hotkeys

Shortcuts :) your new friend!

11. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

You should be able to export using iPhoto to very small sizes. There are two main factors when calculating file size (in MB): Image quality, and image resolution. When exporting using iPhoto, you can adjust both.

[​IMG]

On that note, if you're emailing, why not just click the email button in iPhoto? It will prompt you for a size and give you an estimated size and send it straight to Mail.

[​IMG]