New MBP, questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gork, Mar 21, 2011.

1. gork macrumors newbie

Hi,

Im new on forum and need to ask some questions. Wanna buy a MBP, dont know which one is the best for me however.. I will do programming and music and will use Matlab, Dev-C, Cubase.. And also I will use some CAD programs, autocad and catia.. And some games in fact :) The screen size is not important however I heard that 15" models are 3D? Later 3D games and movies can be watched via glass.. :confused:

So, what if It's true, I will buy a 15".. If it is not and there is no big difference between GPUs, 13" r cheaper..

Lastly, memory and hard river (SSD or HDD), what about them? :confused:

Thanks for answers,

Yours truly,

:apple: görk

2. The-Pro macrumors 65816

I think you should go for the 15". If autocad and catia use Open GL then u should get the 2.2ghz because of extremely better GPU (6750M) As you are playing some games, you should opt for the 2.2 ghz version aswell. the lower end (2.0ghz and 6490M) has a worse GPU then last years 330M. the 6750M is nearly the best GPU for mid level notebooks (15", not gaming laptops).
    3D??? maybe the GPU supports 3D displays, but havnt heard of the internal screen nor the Mac OS support 3D. Possibly in the future 3D is supported but i dot think the current version has the hardware for it. Correct me if im wrong anybody.
    There is a massive difference in GPU's between the 13" and 15". The discrete GPU in the 15" is massively better then the intel HD 3000 in the 13". If you need graphics performance go for the 15"!!!!!
    4 Gb is enough for normal consumers. id recommend 8Gb for you though due to the 3D programs (as long as they are 64bit, they will benefit from more then 4Gb). if 8 isnt enough, 2011 MBP's support uo to 16Gb!! but at the moment that like 1.6 grand, so maybe in 2 years thaths an affordable upgrade :D

I'd recommend sticking with the standard hard drive, and if you want the SSd you upgrade it yourself, cheaper and you can choose a SATA 3 which are supported in 2011 MBP's

3. gork thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again. I guess 15" 2.2 with 4GB will work :)

4. The-Pro macrumors 65816

No Problem, you can get 8Gb from resellers for as low as 100 now!! so if 4gb is not enough, get it later on