new mbp! quick ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kidtofu, Nov 23, 2007.

1. kidtofu macrumors newbie

Hey all, just got my sexy new mbp, 2.4, 17.

I came to this beast after many years spent with a loyal and faitfhul g4 400.

some change!

anyway, just wondering if there's a way to connect my g4 to my mbp and share the mbp screen?

I threw out my old crt and i don't really want to buy anything else.

many thanks for any help!

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

If you are running Leopard you can utilize the screen sharing feature. :)

3. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

OP, do you mean "use the MBP as a screen for your G4" or do you mean "Access the desktop of the MBP from the screen of your G4".

The first is not easily possible. The second you can do what KingYaba suggested, or use VNC (Chicken of the VNC to view, VineServer to serve).

My experience with using built-in screen sharing (at least with Tiger) is that it doesn't play friendly with most VNC clients. VineServer did the trick for me.

4. kidtofu thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies!

"use the MBP as a screen for your G4"

this is indeed what I meant as I have discarded my original G4 screen.

The MBP I bought was on clearance sale and came without Leopard. Side issue, am I entitled to get it for free or cut price or whatever? I bought it from an official Mac retailer.

5. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

you cant do that, i dont understand why so many people think you can...

the only way is to get a RCA video input adapter for your laptop, and an RCA output from the G4, but that dosent really works very well, you wouldnt really be able to tell what you were looking at

6. TheStu macrumors 65816

It can be done, by using VNC again. There is an app, ScreenRecycler, that lets you do exactly what the OP wants. I have used it in the past to utilize my friend's MacBook screen as a second screen for my system. I could drag things over to it, just as if I had an external monitor hooked up.

It is best done over ethernet wired.

7. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

I've seen something like this called Synergy but from my experience it takes a lot of effort to set up. The biggest benefit of this is having OS X, Windows and Linux running each on seperate computers and screens and use one keyboard and mouse across all three.