New MBP reaches 106 degrees

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pneublet, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Pneublet macrumors member

I'm using handbrake for the first time and left my computer while it was copying the files. When I came back 10 minutes the processor was at 106 degrees and the fans were at 2300rpm. I immediately cranked the fans up to full speed but shouldn't the computer have done this long before reaching that temperature??

2. gnomeisland macrumors 6502

I'm running an "old school" Penryn MBP and right now my CPU is coming in at 140 degrees and my fans are spinning less than 2K so I'd say you are well within the standard operating temperatures.

3. 11800506 macrumors 65816

I'm assuming you're talking in Fahrenheit because if it was in Celcius your logic board would have already melted likely. If they are in F, 106 is relatively low and I wouldn't worry about it. The processors are rated up to the boiling point so the fan speed it was at would have been fine.

4. Pneublet thread starter macrumors member

No I am talking celsius which is why I'm concerned

5. mchank macrumors regular

Your computer should have auto-shutdown at 100 C. What temperature monitoring program are you using?

6. Pneublet thread starter macrumors member

SMCfancontrol showed me the temp and it was on default. Istat also confirmed the temp

7. hari-bhari macrumors regular

i got to 94C with no fan speeding up. i dont know whats going on. some people say it can get up to 125 now without shutting down.

8. Pneublet thread starter macrumors member

Should I be concerned that I might have hurt anything?

9. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

No. A dead CPU is usually an "All or Nothing" thing. If your computer still works, you should be good. 106C..........dang.....just Handbrake?

On my machine, Handbrake doesn't even get it over 70C. Are you sure you left the vents clear on the back? You didn't close it, did you? What temp does it idle at?

10. Pneublet thread starter macrumors member

It usually sits around 40-50 just using the internet or photoshop. If I'm using my webcam it sits around 75. The fans are fully cranked now while using handbrake and it's at 71

11. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

You are nowhere near a dangerous temperature yet. MacBook Pro laptops (of every generation) are going to run hot when doing CPU intensive work. This isn't just limited to Apple hardware, and there seems to be a thread about it every day (here or in the MacBook forum).

No offense intended, but programs like iStat bring out the hypochondriac in way too many people. If you are ever worried about your system open a program called "Console" (built into OS X Utilities folder) and search through your log for Thermal or Temperature events. If you have any, then you "may" have an issue, otherwise you just have a warm computer like the rest of us.

[​IMG]

12. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Celcius?! That's a HUGE number! My MBA sees about 71C during Handbrake encodes.

13. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

The MBP also has a faster (hotter) processor than your Air, and it is still normal.

[​IMG]

14. six.four macrumors 6502

two dev null processes on my MBP (merom) for 30 minutes and it reaches about 94 C, but averages around 91 C