New MBP.. Reformat and fresh install?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacDannny, Apr 28, 2010.

1. MacDannny macrumors member

hi, i just got my new MBP finally!
    I'm just in the process of calibrating the battery (first initial charge). when its charged and I can turn it on, would you recommend reformatting the drive and freshly installing OSX?
    if so, would anyone be kind enough to be able to point me in the direction of useful instructions? (I have an idea, but dont want to mess it up).

thanks, and much appreciated.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Not needed IMO

To do it, just boot from the install disk #1 by holding C while booting and open Disk Utility from Menu bar and erase the HD, then exit Disk Utility and install OS X. Unless you have issues, don't do it

3. Arie macrumors member

Reinstalling Mac OS X is not required, as only when you turn on your MacBook Pro for the first time the Mac OS X installation is finalised.

The correct term is to format by the way, not to reformat. A reformat would imply that you format your hard drive... and then format your hard drive again, which would not be useful. ;)

4. magbarn macrumors 68000

Above posters are right. You don't need to re-install OSX. One of the best things about Macs is the LACK of BLOATWARE. Every windows laptop I've bought in the past would get a 50% speed upgrade by just deleting the HD and reinstalling windows due to all the bloatware.

5. Tim Lyons macrumors member

I shall be reinstalling OS X, when my MBP arrives, just because I like to be certain everything is the way I like it, I'm quite fastidious about it :D

6. a4209797 macrumors member

what settings can you set during instillation that you can't post install?

7. Tim Lyons macrumors member

It's just a mental thing :p I like to know exactly how things are. :rolleyes:

8. Maverick713 macrumors 6502

Unless you plan on upgrading the hard drive I see no reason to do a fresh install, its not like windows where each manufactuere adds there own crap.

9. Tim Lyons macrumors member

I know that, I've owned a Mac in the past, I enjoy doing it :D

I will have to reinstall again when I get my SSD.

10. Celeron macrumors 6502a

I always format my Macs when I get them. I like to remove things like iWeb, Garage Band, the language translations, etc. You can save quite a bit of space by doing this. I prefer to keep my computers loaded only with applications I use.

Is it required? No. Do I prefer it, yep.

11. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Is it possible to remove the extra languages post-install?

12. a4209797 macrumors member

good point, i'll be doing the same

13. Celeron macrumors 6502a

I believe so:
    http://monolingual.sourceforge.net/

However, I prefer to do it via the installer as I don't trust programs to remove bits of OS without hosing things up.

14. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

yeah, i found something called xslimmer. will do a full backup prior to running it, just to be safe. but i'm pretty sure it can be trusted to do the job right.

15. bluskale macrumors regular

all things considered, it is probably a good idea to at least zero out the hard drive before using it... at least, that is standard practice for any newly purchased hard drive, and I doubt this happens w/ the new computers due to the time it takes.