new MBP; repaired permissions but what do the warnings mean?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ScottSyrNY, May 1, 2008.

1. ScottSyrNY macrumors member

I read about performing repair permissions can be beneficial even if you are not currently experiencing problems. So, after doing it these are the results. What does it mean and should I be concerned. I'm new to the Mac and I've made little to no system type changes, just preferences and the such. Any insight on the attached image would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Nope. Repair permissions resets only file permission issues specific to Apple software and some third party software with receipts in the Library/Receipts folder.

If you are not experiencing problems that would indicate permission-related problems, there is no reason to run Repair Permissions. It is not a maintenance task.

3. ScottSyrNY thread starter macrumors member

Think I goofed on my wording...I should have said 'repair disk permissions'.

http://www.boblevitus.com/Free%20Advice/Free%20Advice/QuickFixes.html

about 3/4 down the page he refers to running 'repair disk permissions' and 'repair disk' and their potential benefits. I'm just trying to get other (experienced) peoples take on his recommendations and my posted image.

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

You didn't goof. Repair Disk Permissions should only be used for specific permission related problems.

Repair Permissions is Voodoo

EXERCISES IN FUTILITY PART 2: REPAIRING PERMISSIONS IS USELESS

5. ScottSyrNY thread starter macrumors member

thanks guys...for your time, patience and clarification. Guess I should have made better use of the apple web site....usually I'm pretty good at that but got a little anxious when I seen these warnings on my new $3k Mac.

That explains the warnings and that repairing disk permissions is not a regular maintenance task, what about the 'user differs on...' message? Suppose thats nothing to be concerned about either?