New MBP retina 15 inch ? Maybe ? Maybe not ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ApoorvPrem, Feb 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. ApoorvPrem macrumors regular

ApoorvPrem

I am currently using a Late 2011 Macbook Pro 13inch with 8Gb ram. Its still a killer machine but slowly losing its charm. Its slow in booting and apps like Final Cut Pro really stutter. I was going through the other thread - The Broadwell Macbook Pro one - Frankly speaking even after going through 67 pages of posts none still has a clear answer.

Does anyone have a legit source about the new Macbook 15inch refresh? I can wait till July. No more. I will be starting my Masters and would be needing a new laptop. Probably the one with the graphics card.

:apple::apple:

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

In a word NO

We can all look at release dates, apples previous record blah blah blah but what it boils down to is that we don't know and you have already gone through 67 pages of guessing.

If you need the graphics card then wait, as the one in the 15 inch is a bit long in the tooth now and has been totally outclassed in the last year or so.

Stick a $100 ssd in that macbook you have and it'll work much better for the next few months until a new macbook gets here....

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There are no "legit" sources. All we can do is speculate. Since Broadwell is coming out in the summer, the earliest we'll see a new 15" MBP is the summer.

4. ApoorvPrem thread starter macrumors regular

ApoorvPrem

I think if Apple decides to refresh it's MacBook Air lineup tomorrow with Broadwell processors then we can expect the Updated pros by June. If it's just a fake rumour then I guess the pros would be further delayed.

Also I can't keep this MacBook after August cos you see I will be moving to usa and I won't be able to sell it there. Whereas here I am getting a cool 600dollars from CEX.

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Why not sell in USA???

Apple computers are pretty much universal unless you have an asian or russian keyboard or something I can't see why it would be an issue and even then there are enough people in the US from all round the world..... You might even get a bit more if you have something unavailable in the US...

What happens with the macbook air lineup is totally separate from the pro line up and there can be no conclusions drawn from what happens with the air....

6. ApoorvPrem thread starter macrumors regular

ApoorvPrem

But don't you think if broadwells are delayed on airs they will be delayed on pros too ?

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Nope.

Broadwell-U is already released (the Core M).

These are the SKUs for the Airs.

15" rMBP use a different Broadwell SKU (Broadwell-HQ), which we won't see until at least summer at the earliest.

8. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Do you have a SSD? Some are able to refresh and prolong their machines through the use of a SSD. However, I realize you use some professional products that can be CPU intensive. A 2011 could be upgraded at the same time to 16 GB of RAM unless I've gotten my years mixed up.

9. ApoorvPrem thread starter macrumors regular

ApoorvPrem

I was confused since I wanted to go for the dGPU model but after reading so many posts about overheating and Logic Boards blowing up I will just go and get myself an Iris Pro 15 inch. Should suffice my Final Cut needs and a bit of casual gaming.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Two different versions of Broadwell, Air can use the ULV version that Intel released. Apple is waiting for the more powerful flavor of Broadwell. I don't expect an update in June though. I think it may be later in the summer (but I've been wrong before).

11. ApoorvPrem thread starter macrumors regular

ApoorvPrem

News has been that Intel won't be delaying the Skylake processors just because broadwell got delayed. Also Apple seems to be more interested in Skylake. They are expected to release in August. Expect the new MacBooks further down the line

12. close2reality macrumors 6502

I see a lot of dGPU talk, and all negative. I understand to some are just technology junkies, and that is fine. You are hear to never be satisfied and criticize everything that isn't under 6 months old.

With that said, I felt the need to chime in and spotlight the fact that the dGPU (750m) is not some wasteful artifact, to anyone who 3d models, or has photoshop and Lightroom open simultaniously etc. would without a doubt benefit over the sole Iris Pro configuration...not to mention games.

Also, these dGPU's will most likely not follow the failure footpath we saw in the past.

Heres an example, I edit RAW files pretty much on a daily basis, I will have them open simulatniously in LR and PSP.....now someone tell me i'm not benefiting from the dGPU...and if you are going to tell me, back it up.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.