New MBP Retina dead after 1 day

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by frocco, Oct 24, 2012.

1. frocco macrumors 6502

frocco

Hello,

I got my new 15" Retina 16gb, 512 yesterday and adter about two hours, I had all my programs installed and also installed windows 7.
    Everything was fine, I closed the lid for the night and in the morning I heard the fans running at high speed. The display would not turn on.
    I shut it down and tried to power it on and it will not boot, just hear the fans running. I tried the smc and prams reset.

I am bummed.

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

And do you think it is the rMBP hardware, OS, applications.....or just maybe the Windows partition/software?

Call Apple Care and see if they can help. If not, go to the local store.

3. frocco thread starter macrumors 6502

frocco

Sounds like Hardware, as I cannot even boot up.

4. rmwebs macrumors 68040

Do you have an external display you can try hooking up to it? Could be that the machine thinks its running in clamshell mode.

5. Maczor macrumors regular

Don't waste time thinking about what might be wrong...
    Return it and get it replaced... simple as that.

6. frocco thread starter macrumors 6502

frocco

7. Idefix macrumors 6502

If you're returning it, try to be sure that you've erased all your stuff???

8. frocco thread starter macrumors 6502

frocco

Not possible, cannot even boot up.

9. MaxPower72 macrumors 6502

MaxPower72

Can you boot up in Target Mode using another Mac and check the rMBP's SSD?

10. Spicedham macrumors regular

i have the same set up as you do. my logic board died after 4 months.

11. frocco thread starter macrumors 6502

frocco

No, I only own one mac. All my friends have PC's.

----------

Sorry to hear that.

12. ericdubya macrumors newbie

You guys are scaring me. Now that the 13 inch rMBP doesn't have the specs I want I am looking at the 15 inch one.

I suppose if they sell thousands of these we are going to have a few lemons, and I hope that's the case with these. Since I tend to keep computers for several years, I want mine to last and at nearly $3k it better.

13. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

14. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

15. Spicedham macrumors regular

I've owned over 10 macs this is the first one I had a problem like this. You should be ok. Buy applecare if you are afraid

16. terraphantm macrumors 68040

In a device with no moving parts and a unibody enclosure, I don't think the warranty is necessary. If a part doesn't fail within the first month or so, chances are it won't within 3 years either.

17. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yah, well. I'm a fangirl from way back, but with my mid 2010 mbp i had the logic board go twice already, the airport card once, the SuperDrive once so far. It's been infuriating. I call my use of the thing fairly light, and I've never dropped it, don't even slam the lid to put it to sleep. Anyway there's no way that I'd skip the Applecare after my experience with this particular 2010 machine. So far my 2011 MBA has been okay so maybe my 2010 MBP is just half a lemon, it can happen. But I sleep a lot better with the applecare watching my tech investment for me.

The cost of the Applecare is not a lot when I think about out of warranty replacements, or for that matter when I think about what I can drop when I wander into a Starbucks... I don't miss not having had the starbucks coffee, and I like not having had to pay for a logic board gone south twice after behaving itself for 13 months. And the superdrive, don't even get me started.

Probably I don't sound like a fangirl after all that. I am, but my tech budget has its limits. Applecare's a bargain if you need it and a minor pain in the rear view mirror if you didn't have to invoke it. That's life in the tech lane. A crapshoot like anything else.

18. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

If you buy with a Visa or MasterCard they double the warranty so it's two years not one.

19. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I've been in the "tech lane" for quite a while (for the last 15 years I've bought nothing but high-end components). The only times I had something other than a hard drive fail were due to extreme overclocking/over volting or due to something like a bad bios flash. Granted I haven't owned many macs - but my previous macbook air (2008 model) has been very reliable. Only thing that failed on it was the CPU fan... which cost me $10 to replace (and it failed well after Applecare would've expired anyway).

Multiple logic board failures are somewhat disconcerting, but statistically the chances of spontaneous failure are low, unless Apple is using far lower quality parts than we all think. Multiple failures would suggest a bad power supply to me.

Really? I knew AMEX did that, but didn't think Visa or MC did. Good to know if that's true - I paid with a Visa.

20. sanagmina1 macrumors newbie

21. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

The machine arrived with a fully topped off battery but would not recognize AC adapter presence, nor charge, so I had six hours to fool around with it and then wait for the turnaround box to show up on the porch! They replaced the logic board. The thing worked fine but once in awhile it would throw errors about slow reponse and once in awhile the WiFi would drop. People said yeah the mid 2010 it has WiFi issues. It wasn't all the time though.

Then a couple months later the airport card began to fail on a regular basis and then did fail, like "no airport card installed." So back to Memphis and they replaced the card and replaced the logic board again. Then a few months later, the SuperDrive failed. I had watched maybe four movies and installed a couple apps' worth of software using that drive. Duh! I was really surprised, I had never experienced SuperDrive issues although I had heard they did not have great endurance records. I had watched hundreds of DVDs in my old powerbook., no problem... so I was ticked off.

Anyway off it went to Memphis yet again. I'd like to have that machine's frequent flyer miles! I have to say all the FedEx turnarounds were like clockwork, the machine was only gone for three days each time. They'd pick it up, it would be in Memphis the next morning, out the door again that evening, back on my porch by 5pm the next day. So FedEx has made some dough off Apple for that machine, for sure, but they've had to work for it.

Since then, no problems and it has behaved like the champ I expected it to be in the first place. It has taken me awhile to become thrilled again over owning it though. It's like when a reliable used car finally starts acting like some jack in the box, popping this or that off its shopping list all of a sudden, you wonder when it will ever stop. But this machine was new, and I had never had so many issues with one machine before. And, as with your experience, most of my machines I had zero problems with and ran them for four or five years before handing them off still working to someone else. So it was disturbing. I'm way past considering going somewhere else for my machines. I'm an Apple buyer, period. But Applecare is a must for me now when I get a machine. I want that coverage for three full years of not wondering how much it could cost to fix it.

22. shellbryson macrumors 6502

shellbryson

23. Shaunyac macrumors regular

Shaunyac