Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Habusho

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2006
Hi everyone, I have the last generation MBP with a 2.2Ghz Intel Core i7. Lately, with Adobe CS6 and other apps, my computer has been really laggy. It's gotten to the point of being annoying.
I know the new MBP adds a really nice display but is there much in the way of performance improvement? I saw a Geekbench score and it was almost the same as last year's system. I kind of need the horsepower to run apps like Premiere Pro etc. and have a lot of different apps running.

Thanks

edk99

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
FL
I have 4gb of RAM. No SSD.

Any links to performance scores?
Jeez! There is your problem right there. Bump that RAM up to at least 8 if not 16gb. That will be the best and cheapest upgrade. Then look into an SSD for even more of a speed increase.

PAPO

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2009
Australia
Agreed 4GB just isn't enough ram, I had 4GB on my 2009MBP and it was always full but when I got my current early 2011MBP I got the 8GB and it's great, I usually sit between using 4-6GB of it

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
My 2007 MacBook Pro still ran CS4 fine with only 2GB of RAM, so that shouldn't be the problem. And now with 4GB of RAM it runs CS6 as well. When was the last time you did a clean install? When files start to pile up for me I just delete everything on the computer and start over. Somewhat inconvenient if you like having all your files with you at all times, but really helps for speed and isn't that bad if you keep an external drive with all the stuff.

stevelam

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2010
4gb is not enough ram. 8gb should be minimal for adobe CS if you are doing actual work in it and especially if you want to have other programs running.

i'm still working on an ancient 2008 aluminum macbook (not even a pro model) and going from 4 gb ram to 8 gb ram was a huge boost in performance for adobe CS work.

Habusho

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2006
Thanks for the feedback guys.
The thing is when encoding through media encoder, my computer does a hard crash unless I have every single app closed. The fans blow full blast etc. That doesn't seem to be a RAM issue. Anyway, it doesn't seem like the new models really have a performance boost from the last gen. versions.

Jazwire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009
The thing is when encoding through media encoder, my computer does a hard crash unless I have every single app closed. The fans blow full blast etc. That doesn't seem to be a RAM issue. Anyway, it doesn't seem like the new models really have a performance boost from the last gen. versions.

Actually it sounds exactly like a ram issue.(Your HD is swapping like crazy, and then boom, crash...)
Do yourself a favor, get 16gb. NewEgg has it cheap now days.

If you are using CS Suite, and particularly the video side, just get 16gb.

Literally it will be a new laptop for you, and it will make CS6 scream. (You will have 0 "lag".)

I have the same machine as you and I had 8GB ram, and it was mediocre at best with 8GB. 16GB runs great. Your laptop is literally crippled with 4GB trying to run CS6 especially Premiere, After Effects, Encoding.

Frankly, if your MacBook had hands it would probably slap you for trying to run that with 4GB. :D

Get 2 of these: Under $100 total. ($85.99 if you do the rebate.)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220618
Few other brands you could pick, but these are cheapest atm.

Last edited:

BlazednSleepy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2012
I think your finddng excuses to upgrade. You meed to upgrade the ram. Also if your fans are blasting constantly then check your activity monitor for anything unusual. You computer is more than enough for Photoshop.

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
when it occurs, have the task manager up and watch pageouts. If they are skyrocketing, there's your evidence for ram needed.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
CPU-based HD encoding requires a lot of RAM, if the encoder uses all CPU cores. Multithreaded encoding uses at least n (where n is the number of threads) * x MBytes RAM. So if one thread needs 200 MByte (x), 8 threads need 1.6 GByte RAM.

If possible, do not use WebKit-based browsers (Safari, Chrome) on this video encoding machine.

Habusho

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2006
I'm going to get the RAM. Are these ones the best option out there?

Actually it sounds exactly like a ram issue.(Your HD is swapping like crazy, and then boom, crash...)

Literally it will be a new laptop for you, and it will make CS6 scream. (You will have 0 "lag".)

I have the same machine as you and I had 8GB ram, and it was mediocre at best with 8GB. 16GB runs great. Your laptop is literally crippled with 4GB trying to run CS6 especially Premiere, After Effects, Encoding.

Frankly, if your MacBook had hands it would probably slap you for trying to run that with 4GB. :D

Jazwire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009
It looks like those sticks are 2x4gb? Shouldn't I be getting 2x8gb?

No those are 8gb sticks.

Patriot Signature 8GB 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Laptop Memory Model PSD38G13332S

Order 2. (This is not a "kit" , these are each.)

Habusho

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2006

I bought the 16gb of Ram and installed them last night. Today, I was encoding a 720p Video with Premiere Pro and the fans once again start to blow full blast and once again I got a hard crash. The message says you have to restart your computer by holding down the power button. Anybody know what the heck the problem could be???

Thx

jshbckr

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I bought the 16gb of Ram and installed them last night. Today, I was encoding a 720p Video with Premiere Pro and the fans once again start to blow full blast and once again I got a hard crash. The message says you have to restart your computer by holding down the power button. Anybody know what the heck the problem could be???

Thx

It's called a kernel panic. Sometimes it can be caused by RAM not being seated properly. Try removing the RAM (and maybe switching the sticks around) and reinserting them. Otherwise it could be a number of issues.

Habusho

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2006
It's called a kernel panic. Sometimes it can be caused by RAM not being seated properly. Try removing the RAM (and maybe switching the sticks around) and reinserting them. Otherwise it could be a number of issues.

The system recognizes the RAM. It shows 16gb on about this mac. I was having the kernel panics before too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.