New MBP running 10.7 (Lion) kernel?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Redlum, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Redlum macrumors newbie

Received the new MacBook Pro today and one of the first things that I noticed is that it's running a new Darwin kernel with version 10.7.1, while still on Snow Leopard. It also has the 64 bit kernel and secure virtual memory enabled by default.

System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.6 (10J3210)
    Kernel Version: Darwin 10.7.1
    Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
    Boot Mode: Normal
    Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled
    64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes

For comparison, my iMac (last update) is running Darwin 10.6.0 with the 32bit kernel and no secure virtual memory.

Does anyone know which Darwin version Lion uses? It looks like they are using the same kernel. To my knowledge this is also the first consumer product from Apple to ship with the 64bit kernel enabled by default.

Sorry if this was discussed before, I couldn't find much about it.

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

3. Redlum thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting, so it's actually newer then Lion, maybe because of Thunderbolt support.

I wonder if this is supposed to bring the performance increase seen in Lion (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=apple_107lion_dp1&num=2) to Snow Leopard, maybe in 10.6.7? It wouldn't be the first time Apple added new OS features in a new hardware release before rolling it out to all hardware in the next system update.

4. treichert macrumors 6502

10.x is Snow Leopards Kernel.

11.x will be Lions Kernel.

5. TheralSadurns macrumors 6502

My early 2008 MBP running Lion Dev Preview shows this:

System Software Overview:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.7 (11A390)
    Kernel Version: Darwin 11.0.0
    Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
    Boot Mode: Normal
    […]
    Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled
    64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes

So yes... 10.x kernel = 10.6
    11.x kernel = 10.7
    I can confirm this!

6. Redlum thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, so not Lions kernel then but still the first Apple consumer product to ship with a 64bit kernel on by default. Or not? :p

7. ashp8, Mar 5, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2011

ashp8 macrumors newbie

Hi mate,

Just to clarify what you have there is the kernel from the next release of software update 10.6.7 to snow leopard (currently in development/beta) which uses the 10.7.0 kernel. I believe what you have there is a special build of 10.6.6 made especially for the new generation of macbooks until they release 10.6.7 which should hopefully contain all the enhancements to support the new and the old macbooks.

What are the specs of your new macbook pro?

also with regards to 64bit all os x editions from 10.6 onwards are capable of 64bit as the kernel ships as K32/K64 combined now if it runs 64 mode by default thats upto the EFI firmware and driver support and factory setting and by booting into 64bit by holding down 6 and 4 before powering on if i'm not wrong.

Regards,
    Ash