New MBP running in low 80's all the time!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kdawg28, May 13, 2008.

1. Kdawg28 macrumors newbie

Hello, I have been browsing the forums and I have some general questions about my Macbook Pro.

Specs: 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo
    2GB memory
    15 inch screen

Standard Macbook pro.

I have the istat widget installed and I monitor my temperature when plugged in and running on battery. Right now my battery is charged but still plugged in and after 20 minutes of web surfing and itunes my temperature has been floating around 80 degrees celsius.

Is this normal?
    Does the MPB run hotter when on battery power?

Why do the fans kick in so late to cool down my system? Only when I hit 80 do the fans finally kick in to 2500-3000 RPM

Why is my MBP running hotter than others? I hear about people's always hanging around 60's and low 70's.

When I am on battery power it even reaches into the high 80's before the fans kick.

If I install SMC Fan control, what is a normal RPM speed I should be running at? Does this decrease the life of my fans and void my warranty?

Help would be much appreciated.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes many people complained about the fans being too loud so Apple "fixed" it by increasing the temperature threshold. It's not really affecting the processor much.

As with warranty, no it does not void your warranty.

3. Kdawg28 thread starter macrumors newbie

That thread did not address my questions too well. I still have many questions I am hoping can be answered from my original post.

4. Kdawg28 thread starter macrumors newbie

Can anyone give me some feedback on my issue?

I just ran SMC Fan control at 6000 RPM for a good 10 minutes and it stayed in the high 50's, but after I go to normal it takes minutes to reach 80 again with no fans kicking in until about 82.

5. irontony macrumors member

Hi I have the same model.
    Mine hovers around 45 C and only ever goes to 70's when gaming or encoding.
    I've never reached 80 C before

My fans have never reached 3000rpm either

So perhaps something "maybe" wrong with your mbp
    take it in if its concerning you - I would if it were mine

Cheers

6. enkidu macrumors newbie

Strange. My 2.5GHz MBP almost never goes over 60C for the CPU and 45C for Heatsink B. The fans stay at around 2000rpm. The only time they every really kick in is when I'm playing Supreme Commander in boot camp mode and zoom in to look at all the eye candy, then the fans rev up almost immediately.

7. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

8. Kdawg28 thread starter macrumors newbie

My CPU usage has only been at about 54% when the temperature is reaching 80. I have just been running safari and adium, sometimes itunes with it. I am concerned when I read about everyone elses never getting that high and mine reaching these temperatures almost all the time.

9. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

what is your idle CPU usage? In other words when you sit back and do nothing, how much cpu are you using?
    54% is high, I'm on safari right now, I have itunes, word, msn, and preview open and I have an average of 8% CPU with a temp of 49degrees.

10. Kdawg28 thread starter macrumors newbie

On the top of istat where it says CPU with the percentages:

After nothing running for a minute my readings were:

User: 52%
    Sys: 5%
    Idle: 45% (It would jump way down for a second and go back up)
    Also my fans are at 2500 rpm now with 81 degrees temp and I am charging my battery currently.

The percentages seem the same after I opened up safari and adium again

11. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

alright there is definitely something wrong there. Open up activity monitor in your utilities folder, click on the cpu tab and make sure "all processes" is selected. Then say what process is taking up the most CPU.

12. Herodotis macrumors newbie

Kdawg28,

Something is definitely wrong.

I have a different model but yours seems excessively hot. After surfing for an hour with itunes, mail and transmission running istat has my cpu a temp at 45 degrees and fans at 2000 rpms or lessand 10% user.

I get it up to 70's and 80's when doing some video editing stuff.

I feel for you, nothing worse than a sick Macbook Pro. Hope someone here can help before you have to send it to Apple.

Cheers

13. Kdawg28 thread starter macrumors newbie

These pictures were taken after about 45 minutes of safari and itunes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

ahhhhhhhh the stupid printjobmgr. You can go ahead and force quit that process, and then your computer should return to normal :)

That process has caused a lot of headaches for a lot of mac owners, dunno why it acts that way.

btw if you click on the CPU tab at the top (between "user" and "#threads") it will show you the the thing using the most CPU first and so on.

15. Kdawg28 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok so I ended the print thing and after 20 minutes or so of normal computer usage I am happy to say that my temperature is running at a steady 40 celsius!

Thanks for the help guys! Even though my friends told me nothing was wrong with my computer I knew it should not have gotten that hot!

I appreciate it! :D