New MBP running slowly after a reinstallation

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ninman, Nov 14, 2008.

1. ninman macrumors member

In case you didn't read my other thread, I recently had to reinstall Mac OSX on my new MBP after installing Windows Vista on it without using bootcamp. Anyway, my computer feels slower after doing that.

It's hard to describe it, everything still works the same as before, but it's just a bit jerky and slow sometimes. Is this normal? Is there any way to make it run like it's new?

Also because I asked my friend to help me install Windows Vista and he doesn't know anything about Mac's he didn't realise that you have to use bootcamp to do it. Then he spent ages trying to fix it, by doing things like putting my hard drive in his computer and so on. This involved doing things to the exterior of the hard drive, such as removing the four pins on the sides and attaching sellotape so we could fit it into his computer and the remove it.

He told me that Windows had corrupted a load of stuff on my hard drive, but I'm really not sure what precisely is causing me to have reduced performance. Can anyone help? Would you recommend nuking my hard drive and then install Mac OS X again?

2. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

I'd first check to see if spotlight is still indexing your drive. That can slow things down significantly until it is done.

I'd then never let your friend touch your mac again! :) Sorry to hear about that.

3. ninman thread starter macrumors member

How do you check that?

4. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Check the upper-right hand corner, is the spotlight magnifying glass pulsing?

5. ninman thread starter macrumors member

No. I could just be being paranoid, and it is only a slight difference if there is one. There is another thing as well, I like to watch tennis, and before I could watch it live from the atptennis website, but now it won't load the video.

We spent the whole night putting the hard drive in and out of the machine, could that have affected it?

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Different possibilities:

1. OSX partition made too small and there is no free space. How much free space do you have on your OSX partition?

2. Spotlight indexing your windows volume. This will take awhile.

3. Hardware damage

Windows CANNOT corrupt the OSX partition as it cannot read it without MacDrive or something similar.

7. ninman thread starter macrumors member

There is only one partition now, because I wiped the whole hard drive completely clean. The difference is when I close or open windows it jerks slightly, or if I do something like open up websites or open up videos it takes a few seconds and gives the counter symbol.

It might be a small difference, but it's definitely noticable. I don't we damaged the hardware, at least if we did I'm now sure how we did it. Maybe it happened when we put my hard drive in my friends computer.