New MBP, Same Ram?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kanthony, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Kanthony macrumors member

I was thinking about purchasing some 8gb ram from Newegg as they seem to have some nice prices and a sale going at the moment. As many others are as well, I'm planning to get a refreshed MBP the moment they're available with the intent to use this 8gb ram I purchase with it. Is PC3 8500 1066 going to still be used in the refreshed MBP's or does anyone think something new and different will be used? I'm sure it'll be the same, but I figured I would ask before committing to buy.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's possible the RAM would work with new MBPs, but until they're released, no one knows for certain. If you can wait to buy the RAM, it would probably be a good idea. Are you maxing out the RAM that you have?

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

New MBPs may have 1333MHz DDR3 but 1066MHz will still work.

4. the-ep macrumors member

DDR3-1066 should work in the newer MBPs, assuming they use Sandy Bridge.

However, Sandy Bridge processors also support DDR3-1333 (and DDR3-1600 in the quad-cores), meaning that (also assuming that Apple uses this) using DDR3-1066 will be oh-so-slightly slower (I think by 5-7% according to someone who compared the two in his iMac earlier).

5. Kanthony thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, this is what I wanted to know.

6. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I would honestly assume that it would not work whatsoever simply because Apple does some really weird things with product changes and only buy it if you find it worth it for the current computer. At $100 or less, it's a great buy if you actually need more than 4GB.