new MBP screen blinking

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tex-Twil, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hello,
    my new MBP (late 08) has a kind of screen issue. When the brightness of the screen is set to the 2nd, 3rd or 4th position, the screen brightness is not "stable". It blinks very slightly and very fast. It is though visible enough to be annoying.

I did turn the auto brightness adjustment off but it won't help.

Anyone in the same case ?

Thanks,
    Tex

2. genexrocket macrumors regular

Yea, I have this too, I called Applecare and they said this was normal, the led's are adjusting for brightness or something, it only happens like once a week for me for a few seconds. But in Windows XP, it happens all the time, non-stop, when it's not at full brightness.

3. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

4. 7even macrumors 6502a

I had that... exchanged.. new one doesn't do it.

5. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

hmm, how long did it take to get a new one.

6. Jurwin macrumors regular

Jurwin

When it blinks, you try blinking your eyes too! Works like a charm, you won't notice the screen blinking anymore. :D

7. 7even macrumors 6502a

I went to the store, took about half an hour ;)

8. grask8 macrumors newbie

System Prefs>Displays>untick Automatically adjust brightness as ambient light changes

9. antmo macrumors member

mine did this as well... it is definitely not the ambient light sensor. it appeared to be when the drive was being accessed. i brought it back to the apple store and they took it no questions asked (after seeing this issue of course).

mjb

10. delude macrumors 6502

I get this too, when the backlight is set to below half way. Do you think this problem could be sorted out with a software update? It's not really bad but could get a bit annoying, and I don't partiuarly want to go into all the trouble of returning it after spending several days installing software etc.

11. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Yeah me too, I dont want to get into troubles while returning it. Plus, I live in germany and I have a US keyboard layout and Apple stores dont have US keyboards in stock here. AND I have a BTO MBO (7200 HD).

I think I will just try to ignore it. Beside this, the MBP works perfectly (crossing thumbs)

@grask8: I did disable the light sensor as I said in the 1st post ;)

Tex

12. delude macrumors 6502

So many people seem to have this, I found loads of threads like this elsewhere, which leads me to believe that either a software update will fix it, or that we are doing something that interferes with it.

I think we all need to test something out the same, for example browsing ONLY MacRumors with the AC plugged in, and hen running the power from the battery.
    If the pulsing issue doesn't occurr, try playing music. Through iTunes and opening various other applications to make the drive work.

13. jgo78 macrumors 6502

yep, same problem. don't want to take mine back because the rest of mbp is perfect.

14. indiekiduk macrumors 6502

I have this prob too. Most noticable on two bars brightness.

15. jgo78 macrumors 6502

me too

16. ManWithhat macrumors regular

This fixed mine. /shrug

17. jgo78 macrumors 6502

this is not the problem.

18. delude macrumors 6502

Mine still has this issue. I don't fancy taking it back now I have everything set up, downloaded etc now but don't know what to do :(