New MBP Screen Hinges

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ftbps, Oct 28, 2008.

1. ftbps macrumors member

I have been reading that all the new MBPs have loose screen hinges. If tilted or moved, the screen falls down. Does everyone have this experience on teh Macbook pro? does anyone have atighter screen? If yes, when did you buy your laptop?

Thais would be of great help.
    Thanks,
    BPN

2. KSpider macrumors regular

I have had two new ones (and getting a third today, something wrong with each) and both of their screens would fall down if tilted.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

4. Crash1234 macrumors regular

Went through three mbp's, all had to be returned for other reasons, but yes, they all had the crappy screen hinge thing, so did all the display models in the store.

5. bcaslis macrumors 68020

As I said in your other thread:

The hinges aren't "loose" they are designed to be like this.

The previous 15" is a simple friction hinge.

The 17" uses a counterbalanced design because of the weight. This allows it to move easily, but will close by itself when the back is tilted up. This design works well on a desk (where the 17" is expected to be used most) but not as well on the lap.

The new 15" seems a compromise between the old 15" and the 17". It allows the screen to be adjusted easier than the old 15", but stays open at a greater lean angle than the 17". But if you tilt the back all the way and stick your face in the way it will hit in the face.

You may not like the hinge behavior, but it's not "loose", it's supposed to work that way. Returning it for another will do nothing, the replacement will work the same way.

6. RKpro macrumors 6502

I'm thinking they are all like that, because the screen has a giant piece of glass on it, so its very heavy compared to old MBP. Doesn't bother me though, because as long as the base of the computer is positioned horizontally on a desk or lap, the screen doesn't move...

7. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

my hinge is perfect. It will not fall down at all no matter how close it is to shut (until the magnet pulls it shut at about half an inch open).

It feels pretty stiff, but not too stiff where it takes 2 hands to open the laptop.

8. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I was so impressed about the 2.4ghz mbp that I exchanged to a 2.5ghz mbp.

The first mbp's hinge was very loose where i'd put it on my lap and if i get up and sit back down the hinge will move slightly down.. but this new 2.5ghz mbp the hinge is very strong going down or up.

9. ftbps thread starter macrumors member

This is exactly what I am after. i want to hear more people saying that their hinges are tight enough. This way I know that the first construction lot had a flaw. And teh new ones are tight. I want to know only for teh MBP and not the macbooks.

If your hinges are tight, tell em when you purchased it?

10. itcomic macrumors member

Exactly. The new macbook pro hinge is somehow "faulty" . The hinge is supposed to be stronger. May you post the manufacture date, serial number, or any relevant information about your strong hinge macbook pro please ?

Thank you

11. itcomic macrumors member

But some users have stronger hinge macbook pro which when you tilt the notebook, it doesn't fall down (according to some user review)

12. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Every one I've seen in the store and mine work the same way. If you hold it perpendicular to the ground it will close by itself.

Personally, I think that's a stupid test, but it's what one person posted a youtube video about because he smashed himself in the face with the lid. If you want one that doesn't close like this I don't think you will find it.

It's certainly possible that there are some defective ones. But the number of people complaining about it makes me think that most of these are not defective, simply different than the previous 15". If you read posts by people buying a new 17" for the first time they immediately claim the hinge on it is defective also. It's not, it just works different.

13. itcomic macrumors member

To some extent, it is "not defective" as you are right, as I assume over 90% of the notebook experiences the same problem. I think they aren't really defective, but its more like a design/production issue. I think they really don't expect the notebook will turn out that loose from the design stage (sometimes production stage and design stage are off sometimes to some degree and I think they did a prototype, everything works out good but never really pay attention to all possible detail) and this notebook works out good 95% of the time, so the person who is in charge of that production department approved and production is good to run. I think what the new macbook pro need is an improvement to the hinge to make it stronger.
    To create more friction or design something better in order to keep the screen not move when the system is tilted.

14. ftbps thread starter macrumors member

People re getting this wrong. The example of holding it horizontal is a bit more. But in normal use on LAP, and if one stands up and sits down a bit fast or moves the laptop, the screen moves. This should not happen.

15. ftbps thread starter macrumors member

Please give your views. How man MBPs are with tight hinges and when did you buy it?
    Thanks

16. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

The hinges on my MBP brought home on 10/15 are tight. I have worked with it on my desk, kitchen table, my lap and lying on the coach while watching television.

17. itcomic macrumors member

do you mind to provide information about your notebook such as where it made, the year it produced and the week it produced ?

this is reference from Jaffa

click on 'About this Mac' under the Apple Menu and click on where it gives the OS type until it displays the serial number. Hidden among the numbers are details of your Mac's build location and date. I'm not sure off the top of my head if the serial number is on the outside of the box or not though, as I don't have mine to hand.

Once you have the serial number, finding the manfacture date is pretty simple. The first two figures are an indication of the build location. The next numerical figure is the final digit of the year of production, the next two digits are the week.

So, for example, my MacBook Pro's serial number begins W8808... W8 is the factory code – in this case Shanghai in China – the next 8 indicates 2008, and 08 tells me that it was made in the eighth week of that year.