New MBP Screen Issue When Scrolling Up/Down

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ibanana, Nov 11, 2008.

1. ibanana macrumors 6502

Hi,

Just received my MBP 2nd replacement and I am facing the same issue AGAIN...
    Basically when scrolling up or down in Safari or Mail some horizontals lines appear, like static pixels. It's difficult to explain really but very annoying...

Anyone else have the same issue? I dunno whether I should return it again..hassle as I have to wait 3 weeks again (Made to Order, French Keyboard, etc...) or maybe a software update will fix the issue?

I will try to record a video and post in youtube to let you see.

2. superscientific macrumors regular

I am on my third Machine and they all do it. I also tested all three in the apple store and they all do it too. I wouldn't take it back just for that. I think they will fix it with a software update.

3. ibanana thread starter macrumors 6502

Anyone else have the same issue with their screen? Not sure if I want to take it back again now....

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

this has been happening since the last revision of the macBook Pros. it is a GPU error in the coding, the way that apple has coded it. we are hoping that Snow Leopard will fix it. just hold on until then.

im sure that :apple: + A will come in handy in the mean time :p

5. ibanana thread starter macrumors 6502

Anyone else have the same issue with their screen?

I will exchange it again I reckon

6. ibanana thread starter macrumors 6502

7. maxap macrumors 6502

maxap

Are all new MBP's affected by this problem???... Hmm, I guess I should cancel my order...

8. ibanana thread starter macrumors 6502

I have no idea how many MBP are affected, hopefully a small amount..

9. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

10. nonick macrumors member

my safari has the same issue...
    here is what i noticed : if i'm turning my MBP on when it's cold, (e.g. 14-17C ) there are these "scrolling-lines "
    but when i'm turning it on and the temperature is at 20C-25C, there are no lines at all...
    not sure why it depends on the temperature...just an observation...

nevertheless, i think it's not a big deal...and i guess this can be completely solved with a software update...
    and besides that, my mbp is perfect :)

11. ibanana thread starter macrumors 6502

Another piece of infornation regarding the issue: the problem does not exist with the web browser "OPERA"....strange stuff...

12. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

The phenomenon is usually called screen tearing.

I sometimes see this in Safari, but never in Firefox on my system. It is only real specific graphics that do it. As mentioned above, the older MBP (and even my old MB) had the same issue.

[​IMG]

13. bcaslis macrumors 68020

14. ibanana thread starter macrumors 6502

The graphic card is not the same but the description of the problem is identical to mine.

One more thing: I have email Steve Jobs yesterday and today an "Apple Executive Relations EMEA" called me to get more information about the issue, he was very nice and helpful, he arranged for DHL to collect the MBP so Apple in California can have a look at it. Excellent customer service, at least when we email Steve Jobs.

15. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

bahaha yea go straight to the source!! its wonderful that some big guy rang you back!! at least apple does stuff (unlike dell for instance) who will give you some crappy uninformed person who doesn't know what they are doing.

16. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Mine was doing this as well. Second level tech had me reinstall the OS. No problems since then. Also, mine only did it while running on battery.

17. donbenjy macrumors 6502

not really - if you read the discussion from Apple that you in fact posted, it tells you that the issue is caused by something called "coalesced updates" which is a "feature" of Webkit (the engine behind Safari and Firefox). It can be disabled in Firefox, and Opera doesn't use webkit. It's not a graphics card issue - just the way that the software tries to communicate with the graphics card. I'm not an expert, but from what I've read, it can occur on any mac. I had this issue a fair bit last week, but this week it's perfect, so there's nothing we can do really. Incidentally, do you still have it with the latest Safari update (as of today)?

18. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

What is it exactly?
    I'm wondering if mine has it or not. What I expereince is when scrolling w/ the trackpad it seems a little blurry and possibly some thin pixelated lines....when I scroll in Safari using the arrow keys its rough & jumpy...

The thing is w/ my iMac scrolling is and has always been very smooth. Nothing is smooth about scrolling on any of the MBPs that I've tried. Is it a notebook thing?

19. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

nah you would know if you had it. imagine scrolling and seeing only the blue scroll bar move, and random big blobs of txt/graphics stay put when you scrolled. im talking up to 100px X 100px. its just like a jig saw puzzle on the screen!

20. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

It can be quite subtle actually.

Go to http://www.apple.com/ , with the picture of the MB and MBP, reduce your window size to 1/4 (roughly 640 x 480) and scroll up and down. You will (if you have the issue (which I suspect many do)) notice a minor line going horizontal across the screen while scrolling. You can actually scroll really slow, and still see the line.

It is also something a previous generation Powerbook stumbles on, so I believe it is more related to OS-X or our copy of Nvidia drivers.

[​IMG]

21. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

oh i see, well that is nothing compared to the problems my gf has on her older gen 2008. the screen ends up all over the place...

22. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Well if I have it then its the thin line, almost like a ripple in water...I can barely notice it but every now & then it catches my eye. Makes the scrolling appear not smooth. If its the big blobs of text then I don't have that problem.

So do ALL early & late MBPs have this issue? What about the MB & Air? I really hope this glitch is fixed, its minor but distracting nevertheless.

23. ibanana thread starter macrumors 6502

Hopefully not all the new MBP are affected.
    Please post here as well so Apple support can have a look and bring solution or expected time of resolution via software update