New MBP setup and user accounts

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by diesel44, Dec 24, 2010.

1. diesel44 macrumors newbie

Hi this is my first post as the soon to be proud owner of a 2010 13" MBP.

I'm looking to copy all tunes/photos/settings from my 2006 mini and of course I've got questions :D :

1- Anyone do a new setup via wireless? I'm going to use a Linksys wireless N and was curious on a time estimate (I know its gonna be slow...). I'll be gone about half the day so that will help.

2- The mini has all settings under my wife's user account...if I just transfer everything as is then I'll end up with my new MBP info being under her name as well. How can I get the files and settings that are under her name to show up under mine on the new MBP?

Thanks for any help here...really looking forward to getting things up and running..!

2. diesel44 thread starter macrumors newbie

Merry Christmas bump ;)

Would it make sense to just thumb drive my music and pics over and skip what may be a very loooong wait if I use Setup Assistant via wireless network?

I'm torn between taking advantage of the macs file transfer system and not being able to play with my new toy for most of a day...

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

That's what I did when I got my new computer. At N speeds, it wouldn't be terribly slow, but I think it would be considerably faster to just throw it on a USB drive and transfer it.

4. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

How many GB of data are we talking about? The last time I used Time Machine over wireless it took only a few hours.

You could have it do that while you are gone. Then when you get home take 10 minutes to log into the account, make your account as administrator, log into it. Delete her account with the option to save the user folder, copy the files you need into your account, and then delete her now useless user folder.

Sounds alot of steps, but if there are several gb's worth of data it might be easier than thumb driving it, and it literally only takes a couple minutes.

*Note: This is just an idea. I know it works because I have done it, but I tend to go about things like this in a weird way...

5. diesel44 thread starter macrumors newbie

alust and Dalton, thanks for the replies!

Here's the thing...I just upgraded the mini I'm typing on now to Snow last week w/o a backup drive to try out Time Machine on (I know, I know...)

Unless I can use TM directly from the mini to the MBP I may be back to the thumb drive idea.

To recap: looking for the faster way to transfer about 9.5g of music and pics w/o the aid of a stand alone backup drive (for now) or a firewire cable that I didn't think ahead to pick up.