New MBP setup, Triple Boot.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alanlindsay, Mar 8, 2008.

1. alanlindsay macrumors member

Just got my first mac, MBP penryn 2.4 w/7200rpm + 4G Kingston, very impressed so far with the whole package. After two days of messing around I managed to get a triple boot system working perfectly,
    100GB OSX, 65GB XP, 20GB Ubuntu. I only use ubuntu for the "free for commercial use" compilers that intel provides in Linux( C/C++/Fortran ), XP for games and some guitar stuff. There is a program called rEFIt which brings all the boot options up upon startup which works very well and booting into all OSs is very fast. Overall really happy with my first mac. Can't really see myself buying a PC again.

P.S. Also seem to have no screen yellowing or buzzing sounds which is a relief

2. zamboni52 macrumors regular

3. alanlindsay thread starter macrumors member

4. zamboni52 macrumors regular

I've got a 9c81 as well and the screen seems perfect. I returned my first one (9c83) yesterday for a very slight yellowing issue. Congrats on your purchase!

5. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

I'm sorry to hijack the thread but how do I check what display I have?

6. secretpact macrumors 6502

System Pref > displays > color > open profile > #13

then look under "model number" I believe.

Did you return it to the apple store? If so, what did you tell them, and did they check it? I'm replacing my MBP tomorrow and I'm worried I'm going to get a yellow one :eek:

7. heatmiser macrumors 68020

What are your battery life estimates in each OS? Any significant differences between Leopard, Ubuntu, and XP?

8. wesrk macrumors 6502a

I bought mine the next day they were updates, no yellow thing or noise. I also made a small partition for XP only while I run some engineering software I need.

9. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Thanks. I got a 9c81..Who is that from?

Btw my screen is perfect, no backlight bleeding and no yellowing.

10. secretpact macrumors 6502

You have the same one as the one I have right now :). It's from LG.

11. digitalfrog macrumors regular

digitalfrog

Hello,

I will receive a similar machine wednesday, and want to dual-boot as well.

I'm still unsure if I should go vista or XP only to run games but that's another story.

Which OS should be installed first ? OSX or XP/Vista ?
    I was thinking OSX taking most of the disk space as a first partition, and a 50gig or so for Xp or Vista.

Thx

Ralph

12. PorscheDude macrumors newbie

I would use XP Pro, or home. You can get an OEM copy from newegg, it is around 100 bucks.

Home:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116056

Pro:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116400

OS X Should be installed first, and then you will use something called "Boot Camp". To access bootcamp go to Applications->Utilities->Bootcamp

Boot camp helps you partition your HD, and then you will reboot onto the XP installation screen.

13. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

This makes me curious how easy it would be to do a OSX, XP, Vista Triple boot system. My guess is boot camp can't be used twice because it would always assume you want to wipe the first Windows install. The only reason you would want to do this is Vista for DX10 games and XP for everything else.

14. alanlindsay thread starter macrumors member

Haven't done a thorough check on this but this information is determined by a chip located in the battery so I assume each OS should be the same.

15. alanlindsay thread starter macrumors member

The machine will come with OSX installed, then just use Bootcamp (Provided with Leopard) to install windows, the procedure works flawlessly, at least for me anyway. When windows is installed, pop in your OSX disk 1 and it installs all the features ( drivers, isight, etc)

16. alanlindsay thread starter macrumors member

The role of Bootcamp is to partition the disk, that's it. You can do much more if you use Leopard's Disk utility. Open it up click on your HDD(not any of its volumes) and then partition into how many drives you want, so the partitioning should be quite easy. There is some complication between the way windows and Unix based systems boot up which may add complication to putting two windows systems on....unless you were happy to put them on the same partition.... anyways this is probably possible

17. zamboni52 macrumors regular

I turned on the machine and started to point out the slight yellow discoloration because it was hard to see. To my surprise, the genius saw it before I pointed it out. He said that he was a graphics designer or something and can see these things pretty easily. He quickly pulled out another one and we checked it out in the Apple store. This one (9C81) seemed perfect. What's wrong with yours?