Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lucas in Alaska

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
I've been on this forum for quite a while now and reading quite a lot. I have finally settled on my hardware a refurbished MBP 2.5 with 4GB and 8600m GT with 512MB.

I want to do photo and video stuff with my MBP. I currently have about 50-75 VHC-C tapes with video on it and 75-100 dv tapes. The tapes have 10-60 min. on each one. I would like to get a 1 TB external HD and upload all my video onto it (then make a copy onto a second external HD for safe keeping).
From that point I can have access to all my video for making family dvd's.

I plan on upgrading to an HD video recorder in the next year. I have a couple questions about this. I want upload in a way that in the future if I upgrade programs I can always access these files. Is there a certain file type I need save into to do this. I also want to use HD in the future. I don't plan on making a lot of real technical moves just nice moves. Am I better going with imovie, final cut express or some other program?

I also have about 12,000 photos on dvd's all are .jpg format. I would like to be able to upload them all and sort them out according to year and then some of them further down into who's in the photo. I would also like to be able to touch them up either via and auto button or manually for some of the photos. I would also like to be able to add effects to some if needed. Which program would work best for this iphoto, Aperture 2 or some other program?

I'm not a gamer and will most likely add an external monitor, keyboard and mouse to make things easier at home.

Is my thinking right about what I want to accomplish or am I out in left field?

Is there any better ways to do what I want to do, any advise?

I know there is a lot here but I'm finally in a position to buy this and get the ball rolling.

Thanks for the help and advise

Lucas

dr. shdw

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
Should be fine. However I'd get an external 1TB (or two..) with FW800 instead of USB 2.0.

H264 is currently probably the best codec that's going to be used for a while, at least for HD without taking up as much space as other codecs.

Try either Lightroom 2 or Aperture 2, which one you prefer, I have no idea.

Also get a 7200rpm internal drive and CS4 if you need it, it'll help a lot. Be warned the 8600GT may die...

And choose your external monitor wisely..

miiles

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2008
California
I want to do photo and video stuff with my MBP. I currently have about 50-75 VHC-C tapes with video on it and 75-100 dv tapes. The tapes have 10-60 min. on each one. I would like to get a 1 TB external HD and upload all my video onto it (then make a copy onto a second external HD for safe keeping).
From that point I can have access to all my video for making family dvd's.

Yup. Should be pretty simple, you would want to store the 2nd external drive off site, like at your work or something.

Lucas in Alaska said:
I plan on upgrading to an HD video recorder in the next year. I have a couple questions about this. I want upload in a way that in the future if I upgrade programs I can always access these files. Is there a certain file type I need save into to do this. I also want to use HD in the future. I don't plan on making a lot of real technical moves just nice moves. Am I better going with imovie, final cut express or some other program?

It really depends on what you want to do specifically with your movies. I would start out with iMovie and see if it can do what you need, if it can't your next step is Final Cut Express. FCE has a steep learning curve, and is very different from iMovie.

Cameras are all different, but I would think that if you are 'upgrading' then the new program would be able to do whatever the old one could and more. Also if it can't there is some video conversion software you can buy.

I also have about 12,000 photos on dvd's all are .jpg format. I would like to be able to upload them all and sort them out according to year and then some of them further down into who's in the photo. I would also like to be able to touch them up either via and auto button or manually for some of the photos. I would also like to be able to add effects to some if needed. Which program would work best for this iphoto, Aperture 2 or some other program?

To rename and organize them Finder will work like a charm. To do some basic touch ups iPhoto should do the trick and if it doesn't you could look into Photoshop Elements.

Lucas in Alaska

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
dr. shdw and MrBritton

Yes 2 - 1TB external HD's and one will go to work or the safety deposit box

I will have to read up on Lightroom 2 and Aperture 2.

I know nothing about CS4 and will have to read up on it also.

Reference the 8600GT I plan on getting the applecare extended warrantee so hopefully if I'm going to loose it will sooner instead of later. Also is a 7200rmp HD really that much faster?

I have never heard of Finder but I'll do a search for it later today.

Thanks for the advice. It sounds like I'm on the right track then.

Any other advice?

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I think you are selecting the absolute best refurbished value there it at the store. I mean, it's only $150 more than the 2.4 with only a 256 graphics card. I think even though it doesn't have the cool look of the new MBP, it's an amazing machine with similar specs to the new one at $2499.

Congrats!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.