New MBP: Should I install Adobe CC?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JungleNYC, Dec 8, 2016.

1. JungleNYC macrumors member

MBP 13" w/ touchbar is on its way!…and I'm strategizing which programs to install (smaller HD).

We have a "free home install" for AdobeCC at my office, and I do use PS, InDesign and Illustrator here at home a few times a month.

The reason I'm asking is because on my work laptop (2016 MBP Retina) AdobeCC is incredibly buggy. And (seems to) cause a lot of system weirdness.

There's also a lot of background "cloud stuff" that goes on constantly. Which always seems to just affect overall performance. Correct me if I'm wrong or imagining this, but I don't think this is a rogue opinion ;)

I'm trying to keep my new system TIGHT. So…should I do it?

2. gr2020 macrumors member

Sounds like a good excuse to install Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo on your home machine instead! :)

3. happyhippo1337 macrumors regular

Absolutely not if you dont have to. I just canceled my subscription and am planning to go all in on Affinity products + Capture One / DxO to replace Lightroom.

However: which program would allow me to replace Acrobat Pro DC? I often have to edit PDF files after they were created and found no good alternative to it.

4. runner77 macrumors member

I am running Photoshop and Lightroom for a week and have no issues at all.

MBP 15", 2.9, 460, 512

5. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

I personally enjoy Adobe's products, though I haven't used any options from other developers (like Affinity) so I have nothing to compare my experiences to. I will say that they Adobe apps are not incredibly optimized however (at least not on my old, 2010 13" MacBook Pro).

For those that have switched from Adobe, what do you like about your current software?

-- Not trying to hijack the thread, I believe answers will also benefit the OP

-edit: I take back what I said about their apps not being optimized. I'm surprised with Lightroom and Premiere's performance on my six year old laptop. Rather, I mean that relative to Apple's offerings like Final Cut Pro, Adobe's apps are not as optimized

6. cmaier macrumors G3

Absolutely no problems with Lightroom and photoshop cc here.

7. JungleNYC thread starter macrumors member

I think InDesign is a big culprit for a lot of the weirdness people experience. But also, all the dang updating and cloud stuff…is just so constant.

I don't use Lightroom, I use CaptureOne.

Photoshop is the biggie for me. Although i do have a personal copy of CS5 on my older computer. I may just use that.

8. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

9. Wildkraut macrumors 6502

Personally I moved away from these Mafia styled company called Adobe and Autodesk.

Try Affinity Designer or Affinity Photo. They are also developing an Indesign Quark Express DTP App. Their Apps are Great, professional, not bloated, runs very smooth and they have a great friendly active community, you can even talk directly to the devs.

Watch the Vids: https://affinity.serif.com

10. frankgrimes macrumors 6502a

frankgrimes

Really depends if you are ready to deal with constant update crap, slow and buggy connections. Of course some programs are the defacto default application for video creation like Premiere but if you have an older PS version I would just use that.

11. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

The massive amount of stuff Adobe installs is pretty annoying, but it has never really caused me any issues. I also have Affinity and it's a nice little program that will do the job for a lot of people. Adobe is the industry standards for a reason.

12. montanaco macrumors 6502

montanaco

I've have about half of the Adobe CC apps installed and everything has been running beautifully. I have the 256GB hard drive and I think I have just over half of my drive available still so I'm definitely happy!

13. Wildkraut macrumors 6502

Yep non official industry standard by buying out everything that crossed their way. I just say Macromedia. I will never use Adobe or Autodesk again, else some collaboration job i badly need requires it. Their subscription sucks, too. God bless Macromedia(destroyed by Adobe) and Softimage (destroyed by Autodesk).

14. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Not commenting about their business practices, rather that Photoshop is most full featured app and is number one because of that. The fact that a lot of people hate their business model is a different issue.

15. jackoatmon macrumors 6502a

jackoatmon

hahahah definitely install Adobe CC

these machines were made for Adobe CC

just hold off on any super heavy AfterEffects or Premiere until the next OSX update in case of the GFX bug

16. MistrSynistr macrumors 6502a

I love these programs they just need that damn InDesign one out!

17. cmaier macrumors G3

I have also had no problems with CC (the cloudy-stuff), or illustrator cs6, for what it's worth. Haven't tried indesign.

18. Wildkraut macrumors 6502

What exactly you need to edit in the PDFs?
    With the build-in macOS "Preview App" you can extract,add,merge,sort,delete,print,split PDFs/Pages (over the sidebar). Up to a Level you can even fill out PDF forms.

There is also https://pdfexpert.com

19. jackoatmon macrumors 6502a

jackoatmon

Yesterday I spent 12 hours working in inDesign on a presentation, using many high resolution assets from a wide variety of filetypes. It was smooooth as butter. And I had Ps and Ai running constantly too, to adjust images and transcode.

smoooooooooottttthhhh from 9am-9pm with 20 mins for lunch

smmooooooth

20. happyhippo1337 macrumors regular

I need to edit the text directly, maybe recalculate some stuff in bills etc.
    PDFexpert is shutting down the minute I edit something in a table, haven't heard back from the devs on this.

21. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

I'm still running CS6 with PS/InDesign/Bridge/ Illustrater. Only CC program I have is Adobe DC. I don't use Lightroom but Capture One version 10 which flys BTW. It's more than 2 times faster than Version 9. I don't have any issues per say. In Design though is just slow to open. But fine once there. Honestly I have no desire to go CC at all. I do have Office as a subscription based and that's running fine. My whole machine really has no issues at all.

22. frankgrimes macrumors 6502a

frankgrimes

Exactly Macromedia Dreamweaver was just better than Adobes Go Live in every possible way.

23. killawat macrumors 65816

No issues with Adobe Apps. Infact, remember the Photoshop team was given early access to MBP 2016 to prototype touchbar access.

24. happyhippo1337 macrumors regular

The moment I just reinstalled CC with Photoshop and Lightroom (none of them were running), the Apple Photos App and Affinity Photo went haywire and I got red areas everywhere.

25. jpjk macrumors newbie

I used Premiere last night and imported raw RED footage to see how powerful the computer is (16GB Ram/Radeon 460) - the computer completely glitched out and after less than a minute of seizure-ing, it crashed and wouldn't turn on for 5 minutes. Maybe I pushed it beyonds its limits but there is no way that this is normal... At most I would have thought it'd make premiere freeze and maybe crash but definitely not the whole computer.