new MBP skins? why so much light under keys?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vm7118, Nov 8, 2008.

1. vm7118 macrumors regular

i would like to purchase a skin. i had applepeelz (same as invisible shield, bodyguardz, bestskinsever, etc) on my mid 2007 MBP, and something similar would be great, but maybe something in color? maybe black?

i don't really like the attention the MBP gets, and i would like to cover up that hideous apple logo. point me to a skin!

and why is there so much light from underneath the keys? i'm not one of those "I HATE THE NEW KEYBOARD" freaks, but i don't understand why even on minimum backlighting, there is more light coming from underneath the keys than through the letters themselves. so stupid looking.

besides that, this is a fantastic machine. pricey, to be sure, but amazing. just wish i could upgrade the cpu myself... stupid apple and their ridiculous motherboard soldering policies.

2. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

dude, i feel the same about the whole apple showing off

and as for a 'black' one to cover up the apple logo
    you know u can just get the invisible shield or w/e and put a sticker over it cause you have invisible shield!

3. vm7118 thread starter macrumors regular

i guess that would work. i was really hoping for a black invisible shield. nobody has seen anything like that?

and yeah, the massive backlit apple is the most annoying part about this thing. that and the keyboard lights.

although i should have expected it from a company that runs those ridiculous ads.

to be honest, if i hadn't invested $100-150 in os x software, i'd be using windows again. i tried switching with a MBP last year... the only reason i have a new aluminum body one is that applecare replaced mine with a new one (failed 3 times because of 8600M GT, twice for other reasons).

even now i seriously considered just selling it, but i realized it would be a lot of trouble to transfer the warranty, make sure they didn't have any personal info, wait for a new one, etc.

4. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

I think you'd be much happier with an Acer.

BTW, $150 of software really ain't much. Sounds like a silly reason to keep a computer that annoys you so much. I had several thousand $ in Windows software on my little $1300 Thinkpad before I switched. It didn't stop me.

I think the Applecare can be transferred pretty easily (goes with the machine, I think...) and just wipe the HD, reinstall OSX. Should be easy to sell.
    Good luck.

5. vm7118 thread starter macrumors regular

no, i would be happier with a clevo/sager.

and $150 is a lot for me, because i'm a broke-ass college student. i made some bad choices last year and bought a ridiculous MBP with leftover student loan money, seeing as how the computer was going to be a minimum 5 year investment for me.

what ended up happening was that it was in for repair during august/september more than it was in my posession, and i could have repaired a sager/clevo/any windows pc myself at a lower cost than buying applecare.

and why would you recommend an acer? any particular reason? or just that you are a typical arrogant mac user, and assume all windows notebooks are at the level of acer?

and acer isn't even that bad. i found my roommate a gateway (same company as acer...) m-6862 at best buy for $350 plus tax, or $378 out the door. specs? 2.0ghz core 2 duo, ati mobility radeon 2600HD w/ 512MB VRAM, HDMI out, 4GB RAM, vista x64, intel draft N wireless, bluetooth.

that was better than my old mid-2007 santa rosa MBP in every way except the CPU. and that difference is negligible in every day use.

i could buy one of those every year for 7 years and still spend less than what i originally did on my MBP. you BETTER believe that i will buy something like that as soon as the next deal comes around. maybe black friday?

so, let me just say, maybe you will be better off with a solid gold macbook pro. it would look even shinier, probably perform worse (Au doesn't dissipate heat as well as Al), and would def be WAY more expensive. but as long as it ran OS X i'm sure you would buy it.