New MBP -> SL?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Young Spade, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Young Spade macrumors 68020

So I'm thinking of getting a new MBP. 13 inch. No problem.

1) Do they ship with SL CDs? I don't think they do.

Now I know that SL 10.6.8 or so, works with the new MBPs....

My friend has a MB from 2010. Is it possible to boot from his SL disk and go back to SL? Then just update to 10.6.8 and stay there until Lion gets sorted out?

If not, does anyone with a new, Lion equipped MBP (shipped with lion) have any of the problems everyone seems to have? (Low battery, high heat, etc.?)

Thanks.

2. Minhthien macrumors 6502

Hey I am sure Florida have a Best Buy or Apple Store! Go to one of them grap it ASAP because your change of getting the older version are very high! The older version have 2-disk inside and you don't need to load SL just upgrade to 10.6.8! If it doesn't have the disk then you should be fine using your friend disk as long as its the same model as your(ex. 13',15',17")

3. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

I think the discs are computer specific not model specific.

4. Greedylittle macrumors newbie

I ordered a CTO 15 MBP last Friday... it was shipped with Lion and without and media. So far have had no issues using Lion. Very fast and computer seems to be running great.

Good luck!

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

You can only use the SL disks that came with your generation's computer, or later, not earlier, so no, you can't use your friend's, it will not work.

You could buy SL separately though at the Apple Store, pretty sure that'd work. Or you could call apple care, say you lost your SL DVDs and they'll ship you new ones for a nominal fee. Your pick.

6. windowstomac macrumors regular

I got mine a few weeks bac and it came with 2 x SL disks. I imagine a lot of the stock in 3rd party stores is still SL.

B

7. Young Spade thread starter macrumors 68020

Cool; I'll call around to see if anyone has iCore MBPs with SL and will also give me the BTS deal as well (that's a major deciding factor right now; cutting 100 bucks off of the top price).

8. Minhthien macrumors 6502

I have both model, 13' and 15'. Not sure but the label actually listed 13' for 13' and 15' for 15'!

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

They are model specific. Apple doesn't prepare separate install disk for each 13" MBP as they come off the production line.