New MBP Sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacDrummer, Oct 23, 2008.

1. MacDrummer macrumors newbie

Is anyone else having sleep issues with their new MBP.

I have my energy saver settings set to...
    Computer Sleep: 1hour
    Display Sleep: 10 Minutes
    Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible: checked
    Wake for Ethernet network administrator access: checked
    Automatically reduce the brightness of the display before display sleep: Checked
    Restart automatically after a power failure: Not Checked

I tried reducing the times to 1 minute for both Computer Sleep and Display sleep. When I do that the display goes to sleep at 1 minute (as it should) and the computer goes to sleep at 2 minutes and 40 seconds (I assume ram info is being written to the hard drive).

But the sleep function isn't working at the longer durations. The Sleep light indicator for the display (solid sleep light) is the only thing that happens. No pulsating... and the display turns on quickly. So it leads me to believe that it is not going into sleep mode.

(Apple Menu>Sleep puts computer to sleep. Closing Lid puts computer to sleep as well)

Any Ideas?

Thanks!

2. MacDrummer thread starter macrumors newbie

3. tekmoe macrumors 68000

4. The Past macrumors 6502

I think it may even have something to with a problem with Bluetooth. I am hoping X.5.6 will fix it.

5. KSpider macrumors regular

I went to bed last name and I thought 1 - that I either turned the computer off, or 2 let it run (where it would have gone to sleep in 1 hour with the power unplugged..

I went to my computer this morning and the computer screen was black. I pressed a key and it started to turn on as though the battery had fully drained, and after 10 seconds or so and the little white load bar on the bottom finished, it pulled up my computer to where I would have left off last night.

So i figured, oh, it didnt go to sleep or something and it drained the battery..

However, the battery % was at 13% ??

Odd on a couple levels...

6. MacDrummer thread starter macrumors newbie

Solved...

I figured it out. My sleep deprivation issue was caused by Firefox.

I was able to make my (Late 2008) MBP go to sleep after 1 hour of idle activity when I quit out of Firefox.

For some reason my MBP would go to sleep at 1 and 10 minute intervals (set in energy saver) when Firefox was open, however not at 1 hour.

Other Notes: I do run the iStat Menu and smcFanControl (I do not believe these applications keep my MBP awake).

Does anyone know why Firefox would cause such an issue?
    (I'm running Firefox 3.0.3 and Mac OS 10.5.5 on my Late 2008 MBP)

7. liuhui51511 macrumors newbie

it could be the graphic cards need to be updated, i had the problem before with my crappy dell!