New MBP - - Slow internet connection?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Glar, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Glar macrumors newbie

So I just got my very first mac, a new 17" Macbook pro, and I am in love with it in every way, except for some troubles with my internet connection and I'm not sure what the problem is.

I have cable internet, and I assumed setup would consist of merely taking the ethernet cable out of my old computer (5 yr old vaio) and putting it in the mbp. This does connect me, but much to my shock/dismay my MBP is MUCH slower than my old tower. I know this can't be right. Is there some method of network setup that I skipped? Almost every page I wait 10+ seconds while it says "looking for www.google.com" (for example) before it finally slowly loads.

The wierdest part is that WoW runs seamlessly. ???

I would really appreciate it if anyone had any advice that could put me back on track, because I'm quite sure my 2.4 gh 2gb ram MBP should be performing better than this.

2. cloudlife macrumors newbie

1. I've already tried searching this is one of the few threads for this problem. Although there are other threads out there that complain of the same problem.
    2. Appropriate thread.
    3. Good thread title.
    4. Macbook Pro 15" 2.2ghz 128mb graphics card. SR mobo. 160gb hd customized. Mac OSX 10.4.9. Have tried using Firefox, Bon Echo (intel optimized version of firefox), and standard Safari. Software is completely up to date. Router/wifi modem is 2wire 2700HG-B. Broadband provider is SBC DSL express package with 1.5mpbs dl rate.
    5. Specifically internet browsing regardless of wired or ethernet connection frequently has large lag spikes. It also tends to get much worse if there's a torrent running at the same time. And to be even clearer. It's specifically a connection lag spike so it only effects the internet connection the rest of my Mac system is 100% functional and zipping along.
    6. This problem has been happening since I got the machine. And it's been happening since the moment i popped it out of the box, I believe. I'm not entirely sure if the problem started before or after I installed a wide variety of Apple Software updates.
    7. I've already tried searching for a solution online. I've discovered that other ppl have this problem and that some ppl don't. However, I have yet to find anyone with the solution. I've tried restarted the computer, turning wifi on-off, trying both wireless and ethernet connection, changing wifi password and encryption type.

Probably the definitive proof that the new Macbook Pro Does have a problem with it's internet connection is that I also own a ibook G4 1.42 ghz PPC with 768mb ram. 80gb hd. It's also fully updated using Apple's Software update. And while my Macbook pro spends over several seconds just to load another page my ibook can do it instantly. Sometimes however, it can just fail to load the page while my ibook Still loads those same pages instantly. These problems are all fairly frequently I'd say once every 5 minutes average around there.

Even if you guys out there who viewed this don't know the solution to this problem, please point the way to other threads or threads in other forums who have the same problem, so that we can look at this together. Also feel free to speak up and say you have the same problem.

I'll be contacting apple soon to see what they're answer is regarding this.

3. cloudlife macrumors newbie

Found a solution, I think, strange one at that.

Make sure you specify Primary and Secondary DNS servers in System Preferences/Network - TCP/IP tab

If you're not sure what they are try using

by iVmichael

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=998102&tstart=15

However, I don't understand why the new MBP is unable to do what the ibook does automatically. If anyone's got a clue feel free to mention it.