New MBP SLOWWWWWW

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TSE, Apr 8, 2008.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

I have a MBP with the specs in my sig. My MacBook Pro literally became slow over night. I didn't install any new applications since then, so it is a mystery. Boot times are slower, and loading applications like Safari, iChat, etc. take about a minute, and even then they are slow while using. I have 200 GBs left empty on my hard drive, and I think 2 GBs of RAM is enough.

Another more particular problem.

Just last night I bought .Mac and submitted it and used Mail for the first time. It was great. Today, Mail seems to be the worse app. It takes about 5 minutes to load, and even then I cannot do anything, all it does is load and load, and when I close it a window comes up that says," Some actions taken while the account "(email)@mac.com was offline could not be completed online. Mail has undone actions on some messages so that you can redo the actions wile online. Additional information: Operation could not be completed. (MFMessageErrorDomain error 1028.)"

Is there any way to reset Mail and get my MBP back to when it was yesterday?

2. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

first, pin down .mac as the culprit by logging out

sounds like you are having some sync issues.

run the activity monitor too sorting by cpu and RAM usage to identify any other problems

3. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

Mail is using 700 MBs when it's open, is that good?

4. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

I just manually synced mine and monitored the RAM usage during the process. 44.5 MB. I'd say definitely an issue with apple mail syncing to your new .mac account.

Like I said, try logging out of .mac and see if the problem goes away

5. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

Log out then log back in, or what? how do I log off?

6. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

7. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

Ok, I logged out, now what?

By the way, I have been a trial member for about a month, but haven't used .Mac or mail ever until yesterday when I subscribed, but it still says I only have 30 days left on my account, is this an error or something?

8. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

sounds right to me. you have 60 days from the day you sign up, regardless of whether you sync or not.

see if the mail RAM usage drops now that it's not syncing with your .mac account. Also try disabling the account in apple mail prefs.