New MBP software mods

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Eric L, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Eric L macrumors member

I am getting a new MBP soon and plan to delete the following programs that I don't forsee meyself using:
    GarageBand (duh)
    idvd
    imovie
    Photobooth
    Grapher
    Podcast capture
    Directory
    Directory Utility
    various Languages, etc.

What do you think, will this change cause any probelms with my machine?
    It will be used soley as a photography business machine, adding PS CS3 and Quickbooks Pro.

Input?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Don't get rid of anything in /Applications/Utilities. You'll want to keep X11 as well.

3. Eric L thread starter macrumors member

ok, fair enough. anything else I need to do? is it necesary to re-install to OS to effectively get rid of the Microsoft demos? My mac is allergic to Microsoft.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Microsoft includes a removal application to do so.

A fresh install would be the best idea in general.

5. Eric L thread starter macrumors member

Come to think of it, my 5 year old Gateway seems to be quite allergic to Microsoft, too.

6. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

A lot of people will tell you to just go ahead and delete the stuff but i almost always do a clean install when i get a new machine. I put in the discs adn install only the stuff i need.

My philosophy on the subject when installing is that if they don't give you a choice to remove it on initial install then you probably should not be removing it.

7. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

I would recommend a clean installation as well, that way you have absolute control over what's installed on the computer.

8. Eric L thread starter macrumors member

Good advice, keep it coming............

9. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

i bet u will use photobooth

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

GarageBand has support files that are not under the app folder, so it's not as simple as trashing the app. The best thing is to do in your case is erase and fresh install without the specific apps you don't use.

If you want a minimal install, you might want to get rid of the printer driver install too, but most people who moves their computer around find it useful to be able to connect to many types of printers without searching for drivers.

Keep in mind that you don't need to get rid of Photobooth and other small apps. This is not windows, as long as you have enough HD space, having 100 apps installed will not be noticeably slower than having 5 apps installed. Thus the only reason to delete apps is for extra HD space.

11. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

I second that.