New MBP Speaker/Volume problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by applekid1, Aug 9, 2009.

1. applekid1 macrumors newbie

Hey guys. I just got the new 15" Macbook Pro a few days ago. My first Mac :D:D

Anyway, when I plugged my external speakers into the headphone jack of the MBP, the volume control (both in the Apple bar thing on the top of the screen and the F10/F11 buttons) switched so it would control the external speakers, as it should. The problem started when I unplugged the speakers and went to use the internal speakers again.

And the volume control doesn't work. If I push F11 for volume up, the little screen appears and it looks like the volume is going up, complete with the little water drop sounds, but it doesn't actually adjust the volume. If I plug the speakers back in, it will control the speakers properly, but I can't figure out how to make it control the internal speakers again :confused:

I'm sure that if I restarted it would fix itself (probably), but that's a real pain as I am frequently plugging in and unplugging speakers to my laptop.

Any ideas on a fix?

Thanks!

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Do the internal speakers still work? And is there a red light active inside the headphone jack on the MacBook Pro?

3. applekid1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, they still work but are stuck on the same volume level, and no I don't see a red light.

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Ok, then that's good. If you go to System Preferences>Sound and then change the output volume, does that change the volume of the speakers for you?

5. applekid1 thread starter macrumors newbie

The problem has actually gone away now.. I'll try that next time I'm able to recreate it. Thanks:eek: