Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
I had a c2d 2.16ghz mbp with 2gb ram and 5400 hd for years.
Now I bought a new mbp with quad core cpu 2ghz, 8gb ram and 256 ssd.
Everything seems ok when I work inside osx enviroment.
But I have some things to mention:

- Maybe I had great expectations but the 'feeling' I get from the usage of mbp, is that it is fast (a lot faster than my previous machine), but not blazing fast. Am I expecting too much?
- Is it normal to wait even 10-15 seconds for the new mbp to go 'sleeping', when my old machine slept instantly(2 seconds max)?
- Why it takes so long to load the osx? Well, it is about 30 or 40 seconds, with the login screen. I thought I could go inside osx in a few seconds.

I have to say that i migrated my old osx preferences with 'migration assistant' tool. Also I have all the latest software updates installed (10.6.7 for new mbp etc).
Before doing the migration, I have to admit that osx of the new mbp load in 10-15 seconds! Why this does not happen now? Is it supposed to use a machine without any programs? After all we are not talking about an old dirty ms windows machine who gets slower over time.

The reason I post here is because I want to be sure all these things are just normal or telling me if I have to check something or if I did anything wrong.
So, what is going on here?

Nov 28, 2010
located
- Maybe I had great expectations but the 'feeling' I get from the usage of mbp, is that it is fast (a lot faster than my previous machine), but not blazing fast. Am I expecting too much?
The speed is also determined by the storage device you chose, which is most likely a HDD, which is slower than an SSD.

- Is it normal to wait even 10-15 seconds for the new mbp to go 'sleeping', when my old machine slept instantly(2 seconds max)?
Either look into SmartSleep or use Terminal to make it sleep faster, as MBPs write the content of the RAM to the HDD, in case of an empty battery.

- Why it takes so long to load the osx? Well, it is about 30 or 40 seconds, with the login screen. I thought I could go inside osx in a few seconds.
Again, the HDD is the slow component, just because you have a faster CPU, the OS will not load faster, as a HDD is not that fast compared to an SSD.

Ach111es

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2010
Ok, well by using a time machine backup or carbon copy cloner to install os x as opposed to a fresh install...I have heard that it isn't nearly as fast because of the way they work.

Also, there have been issues with speed by doing the group update package via apple. I know the separate 10.6.6 and then separate 10.6.7 updates led to speed increases in gaming for people.

Also resetting te pram usually speeds up boots. But you do have a dumpy HDD, it's only 5400rpm, which while quiet is pretty slow. After doing all the things above, definitely just get an SSD.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
Hey guys, just look at the first post, I already have ssd in the new mbp!

dblissmn

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2002
I had a c2d 2.16ghz mbp with 2gb ram and 5400 hd for years.
Now I bought a new mbp with quad core cpu 2ghz, 8gb ram and 256 ssd.
Everything seems ok when I work inside osx enviroment.
But I have some things to mention:

I have to say that i migrated my old osx preferences with 'migration assistant' tool. Also I have all the latest software updates installed (10.6.7 for new mbp etc).
Before doing the migration, I have to admit that osx of the new mbp load in 10-15 seconds! Why this does not happen now? Is it supposed to use a machine without any programs? After all we are not talking about an old dirty ms windows machine who gets slower over time.

The reason I post here is because I want to be sure all these things are just normal or telling me if I have to check something or if I did anything wrong.
So, what is going on here?

Your startup times in my view are excessive —*although you don't specify how you're sleeping the computer (from the drop down menu is faster than shutting the lid which in turn is faster than the process it goes through when letting it sleep on its own). I don't like Migration Assistant but decided reluctantly to use it again, with certain conditions.

First, I went through and removed all applications that require Rosetta.

Then I went through and removed anything complicated that wasn't made by Apple. Adobe CS3, Microsoft Office 2008 and so on.

Then I repaired permissions and ran Diskwarrior and ran Disk Utility.

Only then did I run Migration Assistant. It still carried over sluggishness from the previous system, so I did some further work cleaning up the Safari browser and completely reinstalling Google Chrome and Firefox.

Once that was done it was time to update software. Adobe CS5; Microsoft Office 2011; Aperture 3.

It now seems to behave. But what I'm really seeing is that the new computers are far more adept with multitasking and multi-processor-aware applications. On a single core application you're basically not going to notice any difference. I was hoping, for example, that Turbo Boost would revolutionize Stata/SE, but alas, it was not to be; just a modest speed improvement (I guess I'll have to spring for the dual core license for Stata on the next upgrade). But having several applications open (or several windows open in a multiprocessor browser) doesn't slow it down. That's the impressive part.

Other improvements compared to my Early 2008 MBP; Restart is MUCH faster; startup is somewhat faster; the hard drive is much faster; the computer tends to run cooler; and for the first time ever Aperture is zippy. (And, when using notoriously power-hogging features like face detection, making full use of both threads on each of the four cores at once).

mediasorcerer

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2010
how long have you had it? give it time,do a permissions repair,and maybe give it time to settle,
dont quote me,but ive heard its much better to do reinstall with ssd,not migrate etc,but i may be wrong,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.