New MBP SR Screen problem (limited angle)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sevimli, Jul 25, 2007.

1. sevimli macrumors 6502a

I got my 5th replacement yesterday! Instead of getting something perfect I got another problematic one. :mad:

The only good side is new small 85Watt power adapter.

I had samsung screen on all my 5 SR MBPs, and yellow tint problem as well. The last one has same problem along with another problem I cannot open the screen as usual before I could. You can see the problem in the attached photos (both are new SR MBPs)

What should I do, I really got tired to speak apple care, or go to apple store!
    :confused:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Alloye macrumors 6502a

I really suspect Apple has two different hinge assemblies. My first SR MBP had to be returned due to a faulty Samsung panel. While the replacement has a nice LG, it definitely doesn't open as far.

Also, the first hinge was very stiff and a little creaky. The replacement is firm but fluid, and it makes absolutely no noise. I actually prefer the new one and don't really miss the wider angle.

3. sevimli thread starter macrumors 6502a

If I use MBP on my lap I have to move my head up or down to see images clear. On the desk it is not a big problem but again... ?

4. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

That really sucks man, if you go to the apple store they might give you an upgraded one (2.4?) for all of your problems

5. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

What does this mean? :confused:

6. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Apple made the huge 85 watt magsafe the size of the MB's 65 watt. OP, that's pretty bad, but I've never really seen a yellow tint except viewing from an extreme angle, but then again, I have one MBP. Take it back to Apple, and then they give you another.

7. sevimli thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, tell me about it, they hardly replaced my 2nd MBP even after getting a replacement confirmation from apple customer care, they just tried to convinced me to keep it as it was.

And it is already a 2.4ghz :rolleyes:

8. sevimli thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the advice, but this is not like looking at from a weird angle, it is very obvious specially working with office documents or fluorescence microscope images.

Do you think apple stores have gotten new MBPs with small adapter? :confused:

9. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

Ahhh, thanks.

10. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

Oh

11. kolax macrumors G3

If it has yellow tint then take it back.

My original SR MBP had yellow tint (Samsung screen) and my replacement has an LG screen and there is no yellowing issue when viewed straight on. I noticed a huge difference at the bottom of the screen, it was a lot brighter and full of colour rather than a duller yellow gloom.

Make sure you get something you are happy with - there is a lot of perfect ones out there.

12. sevimli thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is the problem, at the store they are not accepting this, they just claim this is within the spec! :( Anyway I will go to store tomorrow. :mad:

13. kolax macrumors G3

I bought mine from a dealer - not from Apple. The aftersales clerk told me that Apple isn't accepting the laptop with the yellowing issue as a debit (one that gets sent back as faulty/unsellable).

The chap understood my disappointment and took another one off the shelf and let me look at the screen, see what make the screen was etc to be sure I was satisfied.

A screen that gives off a yellow gloom can't be within spec. It is just Apple trying to avoid a product recall.

14. PDE macrumors 68020

And did the other one have the yellow hue too?

15. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Ah, yes, that would definitely get annoying. I doubt that the Apple stores would have the new adapter in the MBP boxes, unless they got a new shipment recently. I bet they have it out on the shelves though.

16. kolax macrumors G3

Nope - the one I have now has a perfect LG screen with no yellowing issue at all.

17. sevimli thread starter macrumors 6502a

I went to store after work, unfortunately they were out of stock for "matte".

I am just out of luck :(

18. mainomega macrumors 6502

I thought the whole screen ordeal about not being able to be opened as much was already common knowledge ? It was reported that the new SRs had a smaller angle when they first came out.

19. sevimli thread starter macrumors 6502a

If so, then why one SR MBP can be opened more wider than other? And all other replacement MBP I had wider angles. :confused:

20. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

Good question. You would think they'd all be exactly the same -- right?

21. marvel2 macrumors 6502

Just wondering if this is still a problem in the the new Penryn MBP's. And did users of the Merom MBP's resolve this issue. I hate the limited tilt angle.

22. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

???

how can you tell which display your mac has?:confused::confused:

23. marvel2 macrumors 6502

My 2.4 SR MBP reclines at a maximum 130° while the black macbook reclines to approximately 142°. Come on Apple...

24. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Have you guys even seen how the display is mounted? This is possibly the only way to maintain a thin chassis. It's not like Apple is the only ones who do this--Asus does it too.

25. marvel2 macrumors 6502

No, I don't know how it is mounted. But that shouldn't stop them from decreasing the tilt angle from one MBP to another...especially when it has been the same casing for a few years now.