New MBP SSD or 320 7200 hard drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fallen1981, Oct 14, 2008.

1. fallen1981 macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,

I really want to order the new MBP but cant decide on which hard drive. 50/50 on the decision. With the SSD any news on which type it is? Thanks for any opinions and help deciding.

2. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

SSDs are still way too expensive for what you get. It's a $600 upgrade for half the storage space. Most performance issues I have are either due to the processor or network, so jacking that much down on a hard drive isn't very useful. SSDs seem to be about a year behind Blu-ray in widescale usefulness, so perhaps they'll be more affordable this time next year.

You can always get the HDD and if the SSD drops like gasoline has, replace it quite easily.

3. RyanF2009 macrumors member

Go with the 320GB HDD.

SSDs:
    a) are more expensive
    b) don't have the longevity that a regular hard drive has.

4. LinMac macrumors 65816

I ordered the SSD.

It is true that I could replace it and I might end up replacing it with a large capacity. My decision was based off of performance benchmarks and I made the decision that the improved Safari snappiness was well worth the extra cost.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

a) Yes SSDs are more expensive.

b) MLC SSDs are don't have last as long as a regular HDD, but SLC SSDs (which also cost 2-3x more than MLC SSDs) last a lot longer. MLC lasts about 10,000 read/write cycle which equates to around 40 years of use at maximum, HDDs, maybe 100 years, but SLC is 100,000 cycles which equates to 250 years. Of course in real world usage, you can pretty much divide the maxmums by 5, wich brings the reliability of them all down except maybe SLC-based SSDs.

Of course I'd get the 250GB HDD and go buy a SLC SSD (considering how easy it is to upgrade the new machines).

6. fallen1981 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice. I just ordered the 2.8 320 gb MBP. Will probably buy an SSD next year some time taking into consideration my itunes alone would of killed the space on the 128 SSD in a minute and as has been mentioned it is really easy to upgrade.

Really excited. Time to put my gen 1 blackbook to rest!

7. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

Yep, do this.

8. valh macrumors newbie

Acting on a message from a Higher Power

We all struggle to justify our latest gadget, such as a Macbook Pro at 3.06 GHz with a 250G ssd. For example.

My quandary was resolved: on my Birthday, the Biggest Mac zapped my old graphics card. I thought this was a much better communication than, say, a thunderbolt.

So, performance? I am a programmer, build results were:

Old Machine: 6G 2.4 7200 RPM disk: 5 min 50 sec
    New Machine: 4G 3.06 SSD: 2 min 50 sec

Definitely works for me.

Also, after a few days of use, it is hugely cooler. Actually can function as a lap-top (CPU 130, fans < 2000).

:apple: