new MBP, SSD or HDD?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zazaza, Dec 31, 2011.

1. zazaza macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I'm about to purchase a 15inch MBP and am having a hard time deciding between the stock 5400 750 GB HDD
    or springing another $100 for a 125gb SSD installed by apple

If I went the HDD route I'd likely move that to an optibay and add a 3rd party SSD later in the game, but I'm wondering if the stock apple SSD for $100 right now is a good deal.

any info would be appreciated
    thank you

2. Sonhascome macrumors 6502

I really didn't get the ssd hype, but I finally just broke down and scrapped my apple installed 500gb Hd for a 128gb internal ssd, and i am SO HAPPY. it's so quick on startups, if you can consolidate into the ssd size and have an external drive I'd say thats definitely the way to go

3. macfan74318 macrumors member

It seems to be a good deal when you get the SSD from apple, you should be able to fit all of your apps and os on the SSD.

Macfan74318

4. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

First and foremost, I don't think I'll ever get another computer without it having an SSD (I have an MBA). It's redonk fast.

Secondly, have you cross-referenced SSD prices at like Newegg, TigerDirect, Amazon, Ebay, etc? I'm not too sure what type of SSD would go in an MBP (I'm assuming 2.5in Sata III), but Newegg has 128GBs for $175ish. So that's $25 cheaper than Apple's and 3GB more (assuming it'd work)... but you'd have to do a fresh install (or I guess perhaps use a cloned hard drive) of the OS.

$200 doesn't seem like too bad a deal. But not too sure... I'd do the math if I were you. If it were me... I'd probably go stock SSD out of laziness, then do the optibay/hdd thing later down the road.

5. miker2209 macrumors regular

miker2209

I heard that Apples install different SSD on each Mac. Some are slow so best bet is to get the normal MBP with HDD and buy a second SSD, you can still install the HDD in an optibay.

6. ELMI0001 macrumors 6502

ELMI0001

what did you end up doing? I'm on the verge of replacing my hdd with an ssd so any info on your experience would be helpful.