New MBP Storage Usage Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ejleskin, Sep 15, 2012.

1. ejleskin macrumors newbie

Hey there,
    Just bought a new mbp, 256 gb ssd (i also have an external ssd that i will be using as time goes on but have not used yet, and just an external disk tb drive with all my normal stuff on it).
    SO I loaded some photos onto the computer, a little music, and lets say like 4gb of movies, mostly from my phone. I then put it all on my external and deleted it all form my computer.
    BUT when i am looking at storage in 'about this mac', it says i have 9.73 gb of movies, 4.37 gb of audi and 3.74 gb of photos. apps at 10.3 gb makes sense, i have office and a bunch of stuff and one video game.
    My trash is empty, i have literally nothing in 'all my files' in Finder.
    Whats the deal?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're wondering what "Other" category in the Lion/ML storage tab is about, this may help explain:
    For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply:
    Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question:
    Freeing up space in Mac OS X

How OS X and iOS report storage capacity

3. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

You have an Audi in your Mac? damn! haha

Anyway try restarting first.

4. ejleskin thread starter macrumors newbie

oh yes and OTHER is at a whopping 15 gb! wtf this is abrand new computer.
    Interesting apps i have if it might matter are, GTA san andreas (video game), Little Snitch, Microsoft Office, everything else is pretty normal.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Restarting won't change anything.
    Read the information and links I posted. They will explain everything.

6. ejleskin thread starter macrumors newbie

hehe audi, meant audio, ya ive restarted and im not using time machine

7. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Sometimes, restarting works.
    Ive had similar issue and either relaunching the system info or the Mac work.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There's nothing wrong with the OP's Mac. They're just not understanding what's stored and how it's classified. Restarting won't change that.

9. ejleskin thread starter macrumors newbie

Checked it out, seein how its all stored. im feelin it just cant find 10 gb of videos anywhere. in fact outside of applications there are no files on the comp. im going to try a couple things i have in mind and delve up into that terminal. cool stuff!

10. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Correct me if I got it wrong, but he said he deleted the files and still had them inside his Mac?

So I either thought he has files that he didnt know he had or his system info wasnt catching up.

The system info storage section didnt catch up quick sometimes on my machine right after you delete some big files.
    So I always tried relaunching the app or my Mac.
    But this is how I fixed my Mac so there might be different solutions that I dont know.

11. ejleskin thread starter macrumors newbie

ok one more question, in using my old mb, when i loaded say a file to itunes from my external, then removed the external, it would then give me an error message if i tried to play it in itunes, because that file was on my external and not on my hard disk. on this new mbp thats not happening, its gettin automatically saved it would seem to the hd. anyone know if i can stop this from happening?

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I know you're not trying to split your library, but the following includes information that should answer your question.

How to split a single iTunes library over two or more media locations

13. ejleskin thread starter macrumors newbie

wont find it automatically even with those options unchecked, i have to do this locate procedure and then it only finds files local (interestingly) to the artist i selected

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you add music to your library with those boxes checked, iTunes makes a copy of the original files and stores them in the iTunes Media folder specified in your preferences. If you want to know where any music file is, right-click the song in iTunes and select "Show in Finder".

15. ejleskin thread starter macrumors newbie

im saying its not automatically recognizing all the files on my external tho they are loaded into itunes and have not been copied into the media folder because those boxes are unchecked

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Are the files in a format iTunes recognizes? What happens if you add those files/folders again? Have you moved or renamed any since you added them to the library? One possibility is that your iTunes library may have become corrupted or damaged.

17. ejleskin thread starter macrumors newbie

no i can locate them on my external, select it and it says "use location to find other files?" I say yes (the file DOES become playable), and even though all my music files are in the same place, only 7-10 will be located by finding any one file, generally all the ones witht he same name begining it looks like.