New MBP Student Discount

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by saberahul, Jun 17, 2011.

1. saberahul macrumors 68040

Bought a MBP about 3 days ago and received the $100 student gift card. Does anybody know whether or not I can use this to purchase the $99/yr developer program?

Thanks

2. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

i'm pretty sure no. iTunes, App Store, and iBookStores only

edit: i just check the dev website and it only asks for a credit card. no option for anything else

3. saberahul thread starter macrumors 68040

Okay, thank you for letting me know :)

Guess I will be buying xCode from the App Store for now until I feel I have learned everything there is to code and then I can purchase the dev program.

4. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

you don't have to buy xcode from the app store. you can download version 3.2.6 of it for free with a free developer account. i don't understand why they're charging for it now.

5. saberahul thread starter macrumors 68040

Ya I saw that they are giving the 3.2.6 for free but I figured 4 is only 5 bucks plus with the $100 student gift card - it's really free for me. Most of the training vids I use use 4 so it makes sense to use that only.
    They would probably give it for free once xcode 5 comes out.

6. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

yeah i guess it can't hurt. i'm just super cheep lol. good luck on learning to code. :)

7. saberahul thread starter macrumors 68040

Ya I have that thing against apps too. I do not mind paying $7 for a venti coffee from Starbucks but I hesitate even paying $1 for an app. It seems unfair and I bet alot of people would reply saying dude it's a buck but there is some psychological thing behind it.