New MBP suggestions?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by globetrottin, Oct 24, 2012.

1. globetrottin macrumors newbie

My "work" iMac is a 2011 3.4 i7 with 16GB ram running FCP7.
    My "home" is a 2008 MB with as little as possible and iMovie from the stone age.
    About ready to pull the trigger on a MBP, seems like 15" is the likely candidate. I can get education pricing but still don't want to spend 3K.
    Any suggestions? I have read a lot but still can't seem to isolate the most important aspects of the new machine. Also have been repeatedly tempted by FCPX and maybe with the new updates it might be worth a leap (somebody stop me!!!).
    I do some occasional short video projects on the side for work and occasional fun video projects at home using a variety of sources such as GoPro, Nikon D90, Canon low end HD SD card camera, JVC GYHM100U, an old Flip HD, iPhone 4s, etc.
    Any thoughts on configuration of a new MBP would be greatly appreciated!
    GT

2. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Well for a start, FCP 7 is only using 1.5 of your cores, and only 3 GB of your RAM. FCPX will run well on the iMac, but won't run on your MacBook.

I'm about to build a Hac Pro. Twice the performance of Mac Pro, about half of the cost.

3. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Sorry, my reply wasn't particularly helpful.

From experience, and I've had two MacBook Pros (current is late 2011 Quad i7), you'll be fine with the non retina MacBook Pro. Put an aftermarket SSD in it, which you can do without voiding your warranty, and upgrade it to 16GB of RAM.

It's a great video editing machine, and from the sounds of things it'll be more than adequate for your needs. The 2.3 CPU will be fine, but if you have the cash then get the upgraded one for a bit more longevity.

R.

4. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Might I also recommend looking into the refurb section as some great deals can be had for a better price than the EDU prices. Just an option to save cash and put it in RAM or that swap of a HDD to SDD and get Apple Care with the EDU on top of that, win win :D

FWIW I am using the 2011 iMac (see sig) and FCPX runs nice on it and I think a friend of mine has the same MBP (2011-2010) with the quad core and FCPX runs nice on it as well. You could also turn off the render in the background if need be but if not let it go…

5. MacBookProzak macrumors regular

The 2012 cMBP that you see in my signature line is what I use to edit video 10 to 12 hours a day on using FCPX exclusively.

Here is a thread that was started when I got this and the results I was getting. perhaps from this thread it can give you some information to gleen and help in the decision process.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1386040

Summation: This machine ate through anything I threw at this machine. The upgrade to the 750 Momentus XT that has 8GB of SSD has performed flawlessly, no beach ball, no studder, no lag, just zippy performance that was better than the 512 Momentus XT that has 4GB of SSD that was in my previous 2011 MBP. The 16GB of Corsair Vengeance RAM that I put in has worked like a charm and has not produced any beach balls or any issues to speak off. I did run this new MBP for a day with just the stock 8GB and then after I put in the 16GB I noticed a smother, faster performance for how I use a machine over the 8GB stock RAM. A note about the OS, I stuck with Snow Leopard on my 2011 MBP, and since this 2012 came with Lion, instead of staying behind, I choose to move forward and for everything I ask of this 2012, the OS Lion has not been a noticeable factor in holding me back from anything and everything runs well.

6. globetrottin thread starter macrumors newbie

figured it out

Looks like a 2.3 standard mbp for me today, and upgrading to 16gb vengeance ram and 256 samsung 830 ssd tomorrow via overnight amazon shipping, and then putting the 500gb drive into an external usb enclosure for all the .mov and .jpg and other such files. Planning on fcpx, PS6, and a few others to start.

This machine should last for a few few years. Thanks for you thoughts, everyone!!!
    GT