New MBP Superdrive problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Eshyn, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Eshyn macrumors member

I received my new 15" MBP yesterday and am already having a problem with the optical drive.

I've been able to play two different DVD's with no problem at all but when I attempted to install Microsoft Office the drive makes a rhythmic buzzing sound and then spits the disc out after about 20 seconds. Since the DVD's were working without an issue I figured it was a bad disc. Well, I just stick the disc in my work computer (08 Macbook) and it accepted it. :(

Is there any sort of fix I can do myself? Or do I need to bring it to an Apple store?

FYI the MBP was a CTO.

Thanks for any and all input.

EDIT: Called Apple support and the IT person I spoke to had me reboot in safe mode and then reboot in regular mode and after that it took the disc without a problem. I asked him if it was perhaps due to a corrupted file and he said it was probable. I then asked him if that's common in a one day old computer and he said, 'No.'. So I'm hoping that is the last of my issues. *fingers crossed*

EDIT: Nevermind. After it worked and I installed Office I went to re-insert the disc again just to see what would happen and I encountered the problem again. *sigh*

I guess I should be giving Apple another call. What a headache..

2. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

Have you tried cleaning the disc? is it scratched?

3. Eshyn thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I wiped it down even though it was brand new, out of the packaging - there are no scratches or blemishes present.

I made an appointment to visit the Apple store tonight. I'll report back once I consult with a 'Genius'.

4. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

It sounds defective. Apple should swap out that drive.

5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I have this same problem on my uMBP. It won't read some pressed discs, like my EyeTV disc. I just use an external reader, but I haven't contact Apple about the problem.